• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Apple Event

But even with a new SSD and more RAM it still uses an ancient Core 2 Duo processor and an Nvidia chip that is literally 10 versions old. There is no chance it runs as well as a newer, more modern machine, unless all you use it is for email and web browsing.

I agree, but a $2000 new laptop wasn't in the budget, and a $250 upgrade was. Yes all I really do on my personal laptop now that I'm out of college is email & web browsing, occasionally video format conversion, some photo editing. It runs as well as a newer laptop for what most people do with their laptop. I agree, does not match the capability of a new computer for a "super user." Work gives me a more powerful laptop for that stuff.

Last edited:
I am curious about something. Maybe the Mac users can chime in on this one.

I use a windows laptop to backup/restore my iPhone and IF I ever need to restore to a new phone it takes a little while.

I've heard that with a Mac, backups/restores are ridiculous fast. Truth? or apple geeks just blowing smoke?

Have not done a restore from my Mac, maybe some else can chime in... My initial backup did take a couple mins but the incremental backups are fast.

Idk about you but I'm pretty stoked about the watch, very cool. The 6 is in the near future (Friday preorder). I didn't get to excited over the 6 but that watch got me!

I have a Samsung and an iPhone, My biggest issue with android based phones is the unstable software. Whether its unlocked or not, I still have issues with it freezing up and dumping out of apps. My ios based products never give me an issue. I'm in for a new iPhone.......

I have a Samsung and an iPhone, My biggest issue with android based phones is the unstable software. Whether its unlocked or not, I still have issues with it freezing up and dumping out of apps. My ios based products never give me an issue. I'm in for a new iPhone.......
I agree, I was with apple with the 1st and 2nd gen iphone, then switched to android-I had a love hate relationship with my galaxy (crashed A LOT). When the 5 came around I took the op to switch. I'm pleased with apple so far and am looking forward to what they will bring to the game next.

I never had an iPhone before; the only Apple devices I had were the iPad and an iPod. the iPad was ok but I was bored with it. I sold it. My iPod wasn't getting any use, so, I sold that relic. Now, that I am iOS free, I like it that way. It is fine if you have Mac and other additional Apple products. However, I will just stay with Android and enjoy the synergies with it (I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a Nexus 7)

If Apple works it works, but it isn't my cup of tea.

Started with the original iPhone and moved into each and every new release they put out. That was followed by iPads, MacBook pro, and Air. Even though I had never used another smart phone I always found my self asking the question "I wish this phone would just do this, or that." I began jailbreaking. Every update that released I waited patiently for a fresh jailbreak. I had to do this to even come close to obtaining some of the features it was after that Apple didn't offer on a stock device. Unfortunately, with JB's come instability and crashes. It got to the point where it wasn't worth the headache I was putting into it. I decide to try android.
I bought a used Samsung Galaxy S2. It was slow and clunky but made up for it in features. I was blown away by the simplest of functions that iPhone never offered.

I went and bought an Galaxy S3. It was faster and more stable but still not nearly as reliable as an iPhone. I rooted and all was good. The next year I bought the S4. This was the first Android phone that ran smoothly for me. No issues whatsoever. No lag. No crashes. I moved on to the developers version of the S4 and then the Nexus 5. Both very fast, ultra smooth phones. This year I bought the HTC m8 and it's a beast.

I'll never go back to an iPhone even though I love my MacBook.
At one point in time, one could say android phones weren't stable, and for the most part that would accurate. I mean after all, android had been performing operations on phones that Apple didn't pull off until years down the road and still haven't in some cases(lock screen notifications, pull down menu, removable battery/storage, automation, widgets, root file browsing, external storage use, replace stock apps (music player, dialer, calendar, keyboard, etc). It took some time I believe to be able to run these kinds of tasks efficiently. Now, I think they've got it. Kit Kat is very stable from my experience.

Here's my big thing. I like to customize. I like to tinker. I can't do that with an iPhone. With android, if I can think of it, there's a way to do it. If I want Wifi to turn off when I leave my house and reconnect when I get to work to save battery, I can do that. If I want to automatically change sound profiles based on time of day because of work, home and sleep, I can do that. If I want my music player app to open by just plugging in my headphones, yep, that too. There are just too many limitations with Apple devices for my personal preference.

I would say if you like extremely stable phones and don't care about tailoring it to fit your personality/customizing it's looks and functions, then iPhone is for you. My grandmother knows how read a text and make a phone call. It's perfect for her. It has nice big icons that she can see. It's simple and it works.
If you want to be able to change any and every part of your phone, perform any function you could dream up, and still have a pretty stable device, then it's android all the way. I'm currently averaging 7 hours screen time with the m8. If I keep it to under 2, I can get 28-30 hours battery.
Both are great devices, no doubt. It all comes down to your wants and needs.

Last edited:
Back