• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are My X Metal XX 24k Frame 24k Iridium Lens Fake / Real???

footb82

Oakley Beginner
A very long time ago (between 1999 and 2006, cant nail down exact year) I purchased the above off eBay. I almost never wear them because I love my Plasma Ice Juliets.

With that said, they came with an original box with coin. The coin is stamped 1999. The copyright on the box says "1997 Oakley, Inc."

What's led me to ask this is I noticed no serial # on my glasses. I looked for other posts on this but have turned up nothing.

Also, I noticed the frame color seems to be fading. The frame is the "polished" metal color. It seems to be fading on the bottom part of the right side orbital. It looks like the "polished" metal is a dark "black" color underneath. The fading is only limited to the bottom portion of the orbital. It does not extend to the lense front or rear side.

Simply put, the fading is where the glasses would touch if you set them down.

The glasses have always been inside an Oakley bag which is kept inside my safe which is climate controlled.

Is this normal? Cause to believe they are fake?

It is the only part on the glasses that seems to be doing this. I tried to take pictures but the flash is to bright and I cant capture the fading.

The gold portions show zero signs of wear or fading.

Thanks for any helop guys/gals!!!

Thank you for such a quick reply. Thats good to know, I was starting to worry when I saw my Juliets HAD a serial #.

yeah what you have is probably the typical plasma discoloration that was a problem, but supposedly fixed in the 2nd gen. I would worry about wether they are fake, sounds real to me. the discoloration could be cleaned with maybe some metal cleaner? im not sure, ask around first. i would take care to protect the gold parts though, thats hard to re coat if it wears..

Second gen serials end in "A", third gen end in "B", fourth gen have nothing, fifth gen (OLEO version) have item codes. I've never seen discoloration on a 4th gen frame, it might be possible, but only under extreme or unusual circumstances.

Second gen serials end in "A", third gen end in "B", fourth gen have nothing, fifth gen (OLEO version) have item codes. I've never seen discoloration on a 4th gen frame, it might be possible, but only under extreme or unusual circumstances.

yeah but seeing as how he kept it in a climate controlled safe, its weird that it corroded. maybe there was sweat/ oil residue and it reacted over time..

Back