1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Sundalo

Sundalo Oakley Expert

Are X Metals Polished frames(with the exception to polished carbon) plated like chrome or tin? Or are they just plasma frames that are polish to a high gloss?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. I believe they are just raw X-Metal that has been polished to a high gloss. There are a few members who have re-polished their frames and I can't remember anyone saying they uncovered any other material under the surface. Several people have said its extremely hard to polish them because the metal is so hard leading me to believe that there isn't anything plated to them, its just the raw titanium alloy.

Sundalo likes this.
  3. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

+1, just raw titanium.

Sundalo likes this.
  4. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

LOTS OF WORK TOO.

5. Sundalo

Sundalo Oakley Expert

Ok then just need a xmetal xx in xmetal finish lol Finding one is gonna take awhile :help:

6. Sundalo

Sundalo Oakley Expert

when you guys say "raw Titanium" you mean x metal finish/colorway, right?

7. Any of the finishes really. Obviously it would be pretty expensive and foolish to try to polish a 24k or Ti02 but a plasma or X-Metal XX should both polish out to a high gloss.

A word of warning though, the frames don't always polish to a "smooth as glass" finish even if you get them to a high shine. There are often small pits in the frame from the casting process that your average polishing won't be able to buff out. I'm sure if you search around a little on here you'll find a few threads talking about it.

Sundalo likes this.
  8. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

start with the gen 2 or 3 frames,you will never get an early set of frames to polish out.

Sundalo likes this.
  9. Sundalo

Sundalo Oakley Expert

thanks guys, I've found 3 threads about it but didn't find an answer to my specific question