• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are the R1's with no serial legit? ($5K)

I was not questioning the legitimacy of the warranty frames, I am fully aware they where produced and distributed. I was questioning the internal use of non serialized Romeos on oakleys part. It seems to me a company like oakley even back in the early days of first gen xmetal would have serialized an internal item in order to keep inventory or prototypes or whatever they where from walking off the site unnoticed or accounted for. From an operations stand point the cost to stamp a number in a frame is nothing compared to that same frame walking out the door unnoticed. Just seems illogical to me.

Oakley was never the most logical company, especially back in the day. They were by-the-seat-of-the-pants type of company. They did many odd things, but the floating of non-serialized stuff is pretty well known. Like I said, there are collectors that obtained pairs in other ways than warranty.

To me serial adds value like coin and box
it would but not by much. i have seen romeo exchanges here in the forum for much more than $500 but with cracked oem lenses and replacement aftermarket lenses. and with no box and coin neither.

at least i do not have to have the doc chop me up some new lenses...hehe. but again, you guys in the usa still have it good, as you do not need to pay for "extra shipping" just to oversee national customs fees for international countries.

but i guess to each his own, lol...

I was not questioning the legitimacy of the warranty frames, I am fully aware they where produced and distributed. I was questioning the internal use of non serialized Romeos on oakleys part. It seems to me a company like oakley even back in the early days of first gen xmetal would have serialized an internal item in order to keep inventory or prototypes or whatever they where from walking off the site unnoticed or accounted for. From an operations stand point the cost to stamp a number in a frame is nothing compared to that same frame walking out the door unnoticed. Just seems illogical to me.

Also in addition to what I wrote above, there are also instances where Oakley's had prototypes not be numbered while the official product released did. For instance, the Pewter Funny Car. The prototypes (they called them the "Artist Proofs", of which there were something like 3 made) did not have any serial numbers while the final product did have the numbered plate. This info is directly from one of the three guys that approved the final version for production. Just a little tidbit on the weird, wacky world of Oakley.

got the warranty frame non serialized ti gold romeo. very very nice. still waaay cheaper than most r1s in a lot worse shapes....really lovin my romeos...

Back