• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are the Samsung S5 S6 Actives supposed to be rugged?

Slojack

The Cake is a Lie
Premium Member
Orlando
I'm pretty sure I saw that these phones meet drop/impact/water resistance. I
Got one and in less than two weeks the screen shattered from dropping 18 inches.

Had an S5 before it and it took a beating

Got one and in less than two weeks the screen shattered from dropping 18 inches.

Glass is still glass and tempered glass is extremely weak at certain points. No amount of coatings will change that.

I don't throw mine around, but mine are pretty durable. We have had both the S5 and s6 active and like both. Also like hard keys at the bottom

Glass is glass, and drops tend to break it. The active series is mostly for water and dust resistance anyway, and the extra crap on it isn't any better than a $5 phone case would be. You are better off buying the regular version of the phone and putting a quality case on it, or duct taping it to your hand so you quit dropping it.

I had an S4 Active that got pretty beat up rather quickly (plus functionally it wasn't really that good). I moved to the S6 Active last summer and frankly it's an awesome phone.
It's supposed to be a bit more rugged than the normal S6 and S6 Edge but based on past experience I still bought a protective case and installed the protective glass film. I've dropped it quite a few times and it's still good as new. FWIW In my office I've seen 2 shattered screens on an S5 , two on S6 and 1 on an S6 Edge...but my S6 Active is solid.

Oh and it has the best battery life of all the above...by far.

Back