• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are These Frogskins Legit?

they appear to be the Chinese made frame given no Made In USA embellishment on the stem

they appear to be the Chinese made frame given no Made In USA embellishment on the stem

yea that's what I concluded as well, its such a tragic shame that Oakleys are no longer made in the good ol USA and now are out sourced to China, I used to take pride in the fact they were made here before, but now, its so damn tragic I hate thinking about it right now., im thinking maybe the Chinese have overruns of production and what we see on Ebay is that overrun or overflow that doesn't get sent to the warehouse in the USA, but instead gets sent to 3rd partys that sell cheap to Ebay sellers and site vendors. .that's my Theory on that. that's why the Frogskins aren't finished and they are "blackout" right? and the overruns or overflows get stamped as "sales sample" to look like they were meant for authorized dealers, but in fact they are massed produced after hours maybe, for outside sources and made to look that way? yea they are Legot, but with that many on ebay and mass produced, it def smells like an inside job.

Thanks guys for all the insight. It does seem logical that they're unfinished samples/over-produced polished black frames that simply don't get the white paint on the logos. If you ask me, it would be smart of Oakley to start marketing these frames themselves; very versatile and would probably be a huge seller.
Just bought a pair for 30 bucks. Can't wait to see them in person. BTW, do they have an SKU on them?

Thanks guys for all the insight. It does seem logical that they're unfinished samples/over-produced polished black frames that simply don't get the white paint on the logos. If you ask me, it would be smart of Oakley to start marketing these frames themselves; very versatile and would probably be a huge seller.
Just bought a pair for 30 bucks. Can't wait to see them in person. BTW, do they have an SKU on them?

nope..no sku, tyer are just plain Janes.lol.btw mine look awesome with fire iridium lens woot woot!!

To my knowledge the only "blackout" frames were the initial batch of OCP matte black frames, when they first offered Frogs under the custom programme. It was a mistake for the first 500 pairs I think, when they came without the white logo. I'll be curious to see more pics of these once ya get them in hand.

Yes that was the only difference between the "black out" and my dads rootbeer ones, his are stamped "made in USA" and have the sku etc in white

Other than that they are identical in shape, material etc.

I think the theory that they are polished black before White has been added may be true. Over production or something.

Oakley would sell loads of these like this, they look great in my opinion!

I do think its a shame they're no longer made in USA but then again they feel exactly the same as the USA made ones.

So, after purchasing, I messaged the seller asking how he guarantees the authenticity of these frames. This is the response I got, copied and pasted:

Hi, thanks for your purchase. These grabbed are direct from the factory. The blackout colorway will release some time second quarter this year. They are a 2013 model, manufactured in August. Direct from the factory here in southern California. Serial lot number has not been printed on these as they are pretty distribution . For the 2013 models, Oakley had removed from the injection molding "made in USA" this is because of the release of the Frogskin LX, which is made of acetate and made internationally rather than the nylon based polymer found in the frames made in the USA. I also sell limited edition sample colors to some of my customers who are avid collectors. I guarantee they are authentic, if any of my customers feel otherwise or not satisfied , I except returns with a full refund and I will pay for the return shipping.

I'm not really sure what he means about the injection molding process; are LX's made from the exact same molds as regular frogs? If so, what he says makes sense. I also don't know what he means by "pretty distribution" being a reason for no printed SKU.

It will be interesting to see if/when this colorway is officially released. It's nice to know he accepts returns and even pays for return shipping, makes me feel like he fully stands behind the authenticity.

And I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for these "limited edition" colors he mentioned from now on too.

EDIT: He meant to say "pre-distribution." Messaged him back.

Last edited:
Pretty distribution = pre distribution, which would probably mean that they don't have an assigned SKU for the frames yet. As for them not having "Made In USA" on them, that is because they aren't making them in the US anymore.

Interesting! I hope that is true.

If they aren't genuine though, they are perfect fakes!

So is there definitely no production at all in the USA now? That's what I thought...

Back