• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Attempting To Replace Ballast On Black Display

OakleyCan

Oakley Expert
Canada
Unmounted the ballast and opened it up. I cannot remove the wires the ballast appears to be filled with resin. Do I just cut the wires? I was hoping to see the inside to notate the correct wiring method.
15yt5so.jpg

i don't know how the ballast is wired but if you can give me some pics of the whole setup farther away/bulb setup and type i can probably help with what you need to do as this picture is pretty vague

Here is the top view. The non functioning bulbs are the 4 halogen top down bulbs.

2r2n4mf.jpg

Next is the non functioning ballast/transformer

fp11ep.jpg

Inside the ballast, filled with resin. Had to cut the wires.
250iigy.jpg

Ballast w/ Part # and specs
2nks74h.jpg

Pilot, the maker of this transformer does not sell single units. They said to try Home depot, which I highly doubt. This ballast is reputably of poor quality so an alternative would work.

I would have liked to have seen inside to see how to connect but I believe cutting was the only option.

You can shop for a common transformer to drive all 4 or I can sell you 4 separate LED lights with drivers for $15 each.
The drivers may or may not drive halogens but I prefer LED to halogen anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can easily get a 12v transformer for those bulbs from home depot get one rated for 300 watts to be safe should be around 30 bucks

I already have the Oakley upgrade kit with 4 MR16 LED's. Just need the ballast now, and perhaps a wiring diagram. ( I imagine its simple, I just rather be safe then sorry)
ballastshop.com does not have one with the same specs as the original. I should need less wattage due to the LED conversion but again facing uncertainty.

I used 4 Phillips 3 watt (4 LED per bulb) lamps, wired them in parallel to this dimmable transformer : LET-75 12V AC Class 2 Electronic Remote Transformer by Lightech on Amazon....

The transformer is dimmable on the input side so I installed an "electronic" dimmable controller to vary the 120v input, thus controlling the light output. Works perfect!. Try to go with an electronic transformer as the old style magnetic ones are bulky and by code not used any more. The 75 watt transformer has been running strong with NO hum or any issues what so ever. I notice that there is little to no heat in the case now and having it at its lowest dimmed setting brings out the lens colors much more.....Make sure you use an electronic dimmer with the electronic transformer. The above transformer is small yet packs the needed output. Remember its 75 watts and if your using LED's then they should be 3-5 watts each, you have more then enough to run them..

Last edited:
Back