• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Attempting To Replace Ballast On Black Display

I used 4 Phillips 3 watt (4 LED per bulb) lamps, wired them in parallel to this dimmable transformer : LET-75 12V AC Class 2 Electronic Remote Transformer by Lightech on Amazon....

The transformer is dimmable on the input side so I installed an "electronic" dimmable controller to vary the 120v input, thus controlling the light output. Works perfect!. Try to go with an electronic transformer as the old style magnetic ones are bulky and by code not used any more. The 75 watt transformer has been running strong with NO hum or any issues what so ever. I notice that there is little to no heat in the case now and having it at its lowest dimmed setting brings out the lens colors much more.....Make sure you use an electronic dimmer with the electronic transformer. The above transformer is small yet packs the needed output. Remember its 75 watts and if your using LED's then they should be 3-5 watts each, you have more then enough to run them..
Ordered, different supplier though. That amazon seller does not ship north of the border. Wiring should be straight forward.

Can the bulds just be replaced with LED's? leaving the standard wiring/transformer?

When I rehabbed a 2.0 doublewide this weekend I was surprised to find what I needed at Home Depot for $15:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the bulds just be replaced with LED's? leaving the standard wiring/transformer?
Yes, if the LED's are 12V AC.
Oakster had many of the retrofit LED's shipped to stores to update displays from halogen to LED.
Typically LED's are DC and require a "driver" (read transformer) to drive the LEDs.
Pay attention to transformer output voltage and type of current -alternating (AC) or direct (DC)- and you'll be fine.

Mines a single door black with the four halogen's up top, same as OP cabinet.
Thanks for the info guys, the lights work fine at present but a do like the LED look, plus heat and running costs are lower.

Back