• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Back From The Dead

dr.chop

I should Work at Oakley
Refurbished from having the traditional darkening of the plasma orbitals and the almost disintegration of the gold, to a brand new piece. This baby was in horrible shape, but she has a new lease on life, new nose couplers and all.

View attachment 160404
View attachment 160405 View attachment 160406 View attachment 160407

Refurbished from having the traditional darkening of the plasma orbitals and the flaking of the gold, to a brand new piece. New nose couplers and all. Even saved the serial number
View attachment 160408
View attachment 160409 View attachment 160410

And a simple color change from X Metal to Gold
View attachment 160411
View attachment 160412
View attachment 160413

Oil Rig 2 that was busted, now repaired. note the white crack in the frame. That was where it snapped. Drilled carefully on both sides, a metal pin was fitted and cemented in, and the frame was glued with 2 different adhesives to bond and smooth it all out. Now to refinish the whole thing..
Did you create any kind of a jig to help the two drilled shafts of either side of the break line up to form a straight tube? When I've tried repairs like this, I've found it challenging to get the shafts to line up axially.

Did you create any kind of a jig to help the two drilled shafts of either side of the break line up to form a straight tube? When I've tried repairs like this, I've found it challenging to get the shafts to line up axially.
nope...no jig at all. Just lots of careful marking and lots of history working with r/c hobbies, so it's common to be drilling, pinning and fixing lol. It will be finished today also. Painted her last night, now to clear coat it and cure it this am...and I think it will be a stunner