• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Backstories Behind The Pairs

CarGuy

Finally got rid of the default title...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Number 2 has a thread about a pair of R1's and their origin. It made me think about a story behind a pair of mine and didn't want to step on his and say "oh yeah I have one that..."

And I hoped the subject merits it's own thread and we get some cool stories.

I'll start with a pair of Ducati X Metal Juliet's purchased from the gift shop at the Ducati factory. It has a price sticker at the opposite end so it could be. And I'll raise you a pair of JPM Splices alleged to have been given by JPM to his trainer.

Whatcha got?

No story to tell but are you talking about the gift shop across the street from the factory in Bologna?

The ice pair of Splices that I own were supposedly owned by Tom petty from Tom Petty and the heart breakers ( duh right??) . The person I knew that worked in the hotel he stayed at told me that they left the pair in the room by accident and called them (2 band members were staying in the room at the time ) back. The person setting the reservations answered and mentioned that the owner doesn't mind that they keep them. The guy I knew said he saw him wearing them the day before. This guy sold them to me and now they are in my possession. :) I think it's something a little cool knowing.

I have a story about when I bought a pair of OTT's from an older gentleman that lives in Yellow Springs Ohio. It really isn't about the glasses but his neighbor is Dave Chappelle. He and Dave's dad grew up together and one night when Dave was a kid his dad and his neighbor were talking about wouldn't it be funny if...... there was a KKK grand wizard that was blind and didn't know he was afro american. Then when Dave had his show he did a skit of that conversation.

I just bought a very early pair of Juliets on ebay that were supposedly owned by an employee working at oakley at the time. P0000XX. Auction is supposed to include his old business card, will be interesting to see who it is.

I just bought a very early pair of Juliets on ebay that were supposedly owned by an employee working at oakley at the time. P0000XX. Auction is supposed to include his old business card, will be interesting to see who it is.

Are they supposed to still have the original fire lenses?

I have a pair of XS that, if the story is true (some of you may already know it), is from the last batch of x-metals ever made before they shut down the factory. Unfortunately, following the example of from whom I bought them, the details of the story are not appropriate for a public forum. Not a secret, though - PM me if you really want to hear it. But, to set expectations, it's not anything mind-blowing or above the other posts here... I wouldn't mention it at all but I like this thread and want to contribute.

No story to tell but are you talking about the gift shop across the street from the factory in Bologna?
That's my take though I'm not sure where the gift shop was over a decade ago when they were bought. The label seems to add some credence:
1941-1405001625-5b3736e49ae1227fb3ca8f39e440a365.jpg
To dumb things down in creating part numbers that we use in our business I like for us to use the first characters of a manufacturer's name and the last 5 of the UPC. It tells anyone who looks at the item # where to start looking whether it be for where the item is located or where to look for information about the item. If we just used the last 5 of the UPC we could have duplicates.
They seem to have done something similar, item # OAK137, a unique upc for scanning and assigned Oakley a unique mfg #. As a fan of both brands what do you think? Do you have anything from their gift shop?

Back