• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bad weather + bad driver + deer = bad day!

BHarry

The Eclectic Collector
Northern Nevada
So, I was going to post about how crappy the weather was today, but this afternoon the day took and even worse turn. It has been a really windy day with the gusts up to 96 mph, had everyone on edge even the animals.

While driving between two of the areas I manage, I saw a vehicle on the side of the road with a lot of front end damage and a couple other vehicles. I get out and ask if anybody is hurt, they point over a slight rise and say right over there… Confused I start to walk up to the ridge when I realize it was a very large buck that had been hit. I called animal control to come out and assist, just from a glance I could see it's back leg was broken badly. It ran off into the tall brush, I didn't want to follow without animal control so I waited knowing that it wasn't going to be able to go to far.

Once the animal control officer arrived, we looked for the deer for a while to no avail. I have done some hunting and do programs teaching kids how to track. I figured it was a good time to put my limited skills to the test. Almost 45 minutes later we found him lying in a small pocket underneath some large bushes. The animal control officer finished him quickly and humanely with an amazing shot between the eyes with OO buck.

We then had to drag this over 200 pound deer out of the bush. then it was time to load the body into the truck which has large boxes that are not close to the ground… It was not easy. The two of us couldn't really do it, I ended up finding an old kids plastic slide at the property that we use to access the brush field where the deer fell. With the ramp and a lot of struggling we got the deer loaded. I did try to talk my way into keeping it, but it wasn't allowed…:(

Thank you for going through that whole story with me if you manage to make it through to the end…:hunter::drinks:

Edit- I hope it wasn't too lost that my main concern was for the deer. This was a creature I saw on a regular basis and mourn his loss. It was just an exhausting post (and day).
image.jpg

Here is the nasty weather I was going to complain about first…
image.jpg

Last edited:
when i saw your title, i though you had an accident (beer). then i looked again (did not get much sleep due to my sick son) and is said "deer."

at least your end post DID include beer, lol.

So, I was going to post about how crappy the weather was today, but this afternoon the day took and even worse turn. It has been a really windy day with the gusts up to 96 mph, had everyone on edge even the animals.

While driving between two of the areas I manage, I saw a vehicle on the side of the road with a lot of front end damage and a couple other vehicles. I get out and ask if anybody is hurt, they point over a slight rise and say right over there… Confused I start to walk up to the ridge when I realize it was a very large buck that had been hit. I called animal control to come out and assist, just from a glance I could see it's back leg was broken badly. It ran off into the tall brush, I didn't want to follow without animal control so I waited knowing that it wasn't going to be able to go to far.

Once the animal control officer arrived, we looked for the deer for a while to no avail. I have done some hunting and do programs teaching kids how to track. I figured it was a good time to put my limited skills to the test. Almost 45 minutes later we found him lying in a small pocket underneath some large bushes. The animal control officer finished him quickly and humanely with an amazing shot between the eyes with OO buck.

We then had to drag this over 200 pound deer out of the bush. then it was time to load the body into the truck which has large boxes that are not close to the ground… It was not easy. The two of us couldn't really do it, I ended up finding an old kids plastic slide at the property that we use to access the brush field where the deer fell. With the ramp and a lot of struggling we got the deer loaded. I did try to talk my way into keeping it, but it wasn't allowed…:(

Thank you for going through that whole story with me if you manage to make it through to the end…:hunter::drinks:

Edit- I hope it wasn't too lost that my main concern was for the deer. This was a creature I saw on a regular basis and mourn his loss. It was just an exhausting post (and day).
View attachment 128704
Here is the nasty weather I was going to complain about first…
View attachment 128705

He lived a long life from his appearance.

Latest Posts

Back