• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Badman lenses

There's an old standup routine Seinfeld used to do, goes something like,

JS: "That product Monistat, it's for yeast infections, right? But they have both a Monistat 3 and a Monistat 7. What's the difference?"

Audience: "3 is faster!"

JS: "Yes, Monistat 3 works in three days, Monistat 7 in seven days. So why would you want to buy Monistat 7, since it takes so much longer to work?"

Audience: "Because it's cheaper!"

JS: [Gesturing towards crotch] "So there's where you want to economize?!?!?"

The quality of the lenses are the most important part of a pair of Oakleys; you spend a lot more time looking through them than you do at them. And poor lenses isn't just a fashion choice, they can actually hurt you in the long run.

One of our forum mods, xmetalmaniac, once argued that point in probably the longest post I've ever seen him make, here:

Lenses | Page 2 | Oakley Forum

Then in this post, forum member InfiniteHero talks more about what the differences in quality are, what the effects are, and shows an example of an objective test (I should mention that the LineGear lenses shown in this test have since improved their quality and test well). Continue further down the same page and chimera makes the same counter-point mentioned above, cost. Xmetalmaniac replies to that with more specifics on how they can damage your eyes, at the bottom of the page:

I Am A Believer In Linegear! | Page 3 | Oakley Forum

Really, I don't care if you use aftermarkets or not. I'm just trying to provide the info to make an educated decision.

And, if so educated, you decide to use aftermarkets anyway, well... if down the road you end up having problems, when given the choice of blaming stupidity or ignorance, you at least can't blame ignorance... ;)

I believe we are all at the same boat @kronin323, it just so happen that the Oakley still does not release the replacement OEM Badman lenses so some members like @SecretNinja is just making the most of what is available at the moment, and judging quality from basic clarity and appearance albeit subjectively . I myself have a 2 pairs (one x-metal, one o matter) using custom cut lens locally sourced which I content myself as of the moment because the ruby for the penny is hard to source and the fire for splice is equally difficult. Cutting OEM is an option but basic prudence prevent me from doing so, at least at the moment.

Hello everyone,
First off, we are in no way shape or form associated with any other aftermarket lens company. My brother and I started Ikon Lenses BECAUSE of the junk that's being sold online. We have both been in the eyewear industry for almost 10 years now and I guaranty I know more about lens materials and lens technology than pretty much anyone. Our lens manufacture has been producing lenses for over 25 years and they're one of the best in the world. We use the same taper corrected injected molded polycarbonate as Oakley but we offer so much more. Lens technology evolves yearly and Oakley has been using THE EXACT same lenses for quite some time now. Polycarbonate is an excellent material for sunglass lenses because of its strength but it does have its drawbacks. Glare is a big issue and a quick google search will explain why. All of our lenses are AR coated and this virtually eliminates that problem. Even our HD Yellow lenses have AR on them. And just like SPY and Electric, we too inject our lenses with melanin for extra UV protection.

If you're worried about the optics on our lenses, don't be. They are first tested by the manufacture and then by us. They wouldn't leave here unless they were absolutely perfect.

I actually take pride in the lenses we sell and I know there isn't a better one out there.

Best regards,
Doug Nutter
Ikon Lenses

@ikon lenses I have looked at the range of lense colours you sell and also read what you added in this post. As I have said before after market solutions are going to play an increased part moving forward, apart from lenses being cut from other models. The end result is the same it is going to be costly to get original.

There are a few questions I would like to ask:

1. The curve of the lense for Juliets, is it 8.75?
2. Are they the same thickness as the original lenses?
3. What is/are the base tints for the lenses? (Neutral, contrast, amber or pink)

Thanks!

Hi Doug!

Welcome to the forum!
Your lenses look great in the video. I would be happy to try some out if you would consider sending out a few sets to members on here...

Hello everyone,
First off, we are in no way shape or form associated with any other aftermarket lens company. My brother and I started Ikon Lenses BECAUSE of the junk that's being sold online. We have both been in the eyewear industry for almost 10 years now and I guaranty I know more about lens materials and lens technology than pretty much anyone. Our lens manufacture has been producing lenses for over 25 years and they're one of the best in the world. We use the same taper corrected injected molded polycarbonate as Oakley but we offer so much more. Lens technology evolves yearly and Oakley has been using THE EXACT same lenses for quite some time now. Polycarbonate is an excellent material for sunglass lenses because of its strength but it does have its drawbacks. Glare is a big issue and a quick google search will explain why. All of our lenses are AR coated and this virtually eliminates that problem. Even our HD Yellow lenses have AR on them. And just like SPY and Electric, we too inject our lenses with melanin for extra UV protection.

If you're worried about the optics on our lenses, don't be. They are first tested by the manufacture and then by us. They wouldn't leave here unless they were absolutely perfect.

I actually take pride in the lenses we sell and I know there isn't a better one out there.

Best regards,
Doug Nutter
Ikon Lenses

Oh boy.

Back