• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Badman & Madman Just Arrived!

What is Better?

• Madmen

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Badmen

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
not very durable unless they did something magical to the aluminium... it's a very soft metal that can't withstand the abuse anywhere near a titanium frame.

not very durable unless they did something magical to the aluminium... it's a very soft metal that can't withstand the abuse anywhere near a titanium frame.
Bummer -- I'll definitely pick up a pair but I'm not sure then if I'll pick up the multiples like I have of the original xmetals.

Well to be fair the average person isn't going to be subjecting sunglasses of either material to the types of abuse where any strength differences will matter. On the plus side, aluminum is about half the weight of titanium, and they are both corrosion resistant. Do we know if they're using an aluminum alloy? I would assume they are.

Well to be fair the average person isn't going to be subjecting sunglasses of either material to the types of abuse where any strength differences will matter. On the plus side, aluminum is about half the weight of titanium, and they are both corrosion resistant. Do we know if they're using an aluminum alloy? I would assume they are.
Aluminum bro as far as i know.

I love the original X metals for all the qualities that most do, the frame material being a key component of that. There's no substitute for that line.

However, Oakley Design and R&D takes the view of trying to solve problems in a technologically advanced, innovative way. From that aspect, the new line is superior - lighter and much more comfortable fit, with the same (or more) design freedom. Sure, they're not as indestructible, but they really don't need to be.

I loved vinyl LPs when that was the technology, and still do, but there are generally better solutions out there today that more effectively solve the problem for most people. Just my two cents - take with a grain of salt!

That's true, but then again the average person encounters the occassional "some just sat on by sunnies" scenario and I doubt the Aluminium/Oluminium frames can handle that abuse without severe deform warpping compared to any titanium based frames. The titaniums are very difficult to warp unless you have tools or tremendous force. Heck I had hell of a time moulding my Ti Deringer RX glasses to fit me better (curse those blasted twin shock hinges that get in the way!)

Do we know if they're using an aluminum alloy? I would assume they are.

Yep indeed they are, hence "O-luminum". Pure aluminum has like no real structural applications. It's very soft.

I'm not sure about that other comment outright saying it's "not very durable", unless he was in full belief that Oakley somehow used pure aluminum. "Magical" aluminum alloy done right has been pretty damn durable, unless there's something about O-luminum in particular that's lacking (I never had such a frame yet).

Oakley is using die-cast aluminum in the Madman and Badman pairs. While it's obviously not as strong as the titanium found on our precious X-Metals, it should hold up fine. The plastic parts on these new pairs are what people should be worried about as far as strength.

Latest Posts

Back