• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Badman problems

The hinges are garbage. I'd bet money you broke them. If you expose them AT ALL to liquid, moisture, excessive humidity, or any sort of cleaner, you are ASKING for serious trouble. I said it from the start, that hinge is the weak point in both styles. Same exact hinge in the Half X as well. Breath on them the wrong way and they break. Ask me how I know. The salt more than not corroded the spring guide and caused the spring to bind. You applied minor force, and it popped! They flat out suck. If at ANY time anyone has this issue, do NOT at any cost force the hinge. Rinse with warm water and lube the crappy hinge. Trust me, you can't take this lightly at all. A drop of gun oil, r/c needle oilers work well (the ones for motor bearings and such), or even Iwata Spray Gun lube. Something thin and light that won't cause dust to stick and bind it up again. Once the hinge goes, there's no coming back, it's toast. Sad but true...

wow thanks for this insight! Good thing I returned my madmans before anything like that happened! Pheww...good call, good call....

I did post it on 2 different forums, no accident. Sunglass and beach and salt water go hand in hand. If the new XMetal cant manage salt water then Oakley is going to have trouble selling them. Im debating returning them for my money back ang going back to my XX 24K.
And no, they aren't designed to go hand in hand...not by a million light years. The salt is extremely corrosive. It will eat the mirror coatings fast, will eat a painted finish, and will destroy the hinges as you have experienced. Have you ever seen lens "delamination"? Where it looks like the coatings are blistering or flaking off??? Ya, that more than not, is a direct result from sweat contamination...Main component of sweat; salt. Same as a car that is exposed to salted roads in the winter times (snowy areas)...Salt destroys the actual body panels after it has found a weak spot in the finish. I recommend anyone and everyone who sweats while wearing their shades to wash them every time they are exposed to such conditions. I wear my "ocean" shades when I go to the beach in the water. No metal, and lenses I am not concerned with. Usually my "new" straight jackets. They have done well, but I literally wash them the moment out of the water...

Those new frames blow......
I dont think they "blow", i think they are a nice aluminum frame. From what i've said, people probably think I hate the Badman/Madman. I dont. I hate the comparison to X Metals. They are a decent frame with a cool concept that should have been $200 cheaper and placed on the same shelf as the regular wire frames. You say they blow because youre placing them in the wrong category.

Back