• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Batwolfs Vs Gascans. Polarized Vs Non-polarized?

Fuelcell

Oakley Beginner
Hi gang! New addict here. Have had my fuel cells for a while now and plan to have them modded. Different thread for later.

My vision insurance covers up to $130 for glasses / sunglasses once a year. This past Wednesday I walked out with a $150 pair of Gascans (matte black / grey iridium polarized lenses) for $20 out of pocket. Problem is, I don't really like the way they fit. I have a big-ish head and they sort of pinch me towards the back and are generally nowhere near as comfortable as my Fuel Cells.

Went back to LensCrafters today where I got the Gascans to exchange them and saw a pair of batwolfs with the blue lenses and clear frames. They look sweet but I have a reservation about them.

1) will the blue lenses drive me crazy?

2) after being so used to me black iridium polarized lenses, will the non polarization be a big issue?

Thanks in advance!

I would take the Batwolfs if the Gascan pinch you, they are a bit wider and bigger. I love the ice iridium lens I always get many compliments with that specific pair ur talking about. I would imagine the non polarization wouldn't be such a big deal unless you spend lots of time in the water or near it. They also have Black iridium polarized Batwolfs maybe they can order them.

Was the lens tint Ice Iridium? If so its a neutral tint so the colors you see will be no different than BIP. However, you will see more glare depending on what you do. Such as spending time around water or even while driving.

Ice is a great lens tint. plus like ajs2294 said what u see will look no diff through ice than bip. They are both grey lenses with the iridium coating laid over top.

I pulled the trigger and traded in the Gascans. Right off the bat I can tell a difference between the black iridium polarized and the non polarized blue lenses. They're barely dark. I plan to keep them since they're comfortable. Ill just get another pair that's polarized and swap lenses and mod the frames with a cool paint scheme. Think I will sell the fuel cells when the time comes.

If they are the clear/blue iridium Batwolfs the light transmission difference between them and the BIP is only 1%. So the brightness difference you are experiencing is definitely glare. Batwolfs are a pretty versatile pair though, you can replace lenses and icons to give them a custom look without any actual modding!

I wore them for a few more hours last night before dark. Took a little whetting used to but I think they'll be just fine.

can custom lenses be cut for them or so I have to just drop the money and buy the correct ones? What about the cheaper brands I see on ebay that have lenses in the $25-40 range?

I wore them for a few more hours last night before dark. Took a little whetting used to but I think they'll be just fine.

can custom lenses be cut for them or so I have to just drop the money and buy the correct ones? What about the cheaper brands I see on ebay that have lenses in the $25-40 range?

There are lots of threads on the difference between authentic Oakley and those other brands. Here's a post from the founder of Oakley http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/replacement-lens-trap.20223/unread

You can buy replacement Batwolf lenses at any Oakley Store, Online, or usually any decent sized Sunglass Hut.

Great info. Much appreciated. Now to craft a custom display case for the many pairs I plan to acquire.

Back