• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best For Golf?

G30 and G40 are the same lens with just different light transmissions, aren't they?
No. The G30 is a different shade. G40, warm grey, and OO pairs have the same base I believe. G26 is entirely different as well.

I'm not nearly as much of a fan of the G lenses outside of their specific uses. The VR on the other hand, all share a base color and only change based on iridium coating and transmission level.

No. The G30 is a different shade. G40, warm grey, and OO pairs have the same base I believe. G26 is entirely different as well.

I'm not nearly as much of a fan of the G lenses outside of their specific uses. The VR on the other hand, all share a base color and only change based on iridium coating and transmission level.
Warm Grey is listed as a neutral lens, so I wouldn't think it's the same base as the others.

I guess I'm just not getting why or how the G30 and G40 are different other than light transmission? They're both rose-based contrast lenses, with the G30 having 30% light transmission while G40 has 40% light transmission (likewise, G20 has 20% light transmission). Even the Oakley definitions are similar:

G40 Transitions
Sport performance lens for medium to extremely bright light. Muted rose tint for improved contrast and image resolution (visual clarity) across a wide variety of light conditions.

G30
Sport performance lens for flat to medium light. Rose base with a subtle Iridium® coating to improve contrast and depth perception in blues and greens. Excellent for golf.

Oakley Sunglass Lens Tint | Oakley.com

Warm Grey is listed as a neutral lens, so I wouldn't think it's the same base as the others.

I guess I'm just not getting why or how the G30 and G40 are different other than light transmission? They're both rose-based contrast lenses, with the G30 having 30% light transmission while G40 has 40% light transmission (likewise, G20 has 20% light transmission). Even the Oakley definitions are similar:

G40 Transitions
Sport performance lens for medium to extremely bright light. Muted rose tint for improved contrast and image resolution (visual clarity) across a wide variety of light conditions.

G30
Sport performance lens for flat to medium light. Rose base with a subtle Iridium® coating to improve contrast and depth perception in blues and greens. Excellent for golf.

Oakley Sunglass Lens Tint | Oakley.com

The G40 certainly has a rose base. The G30 on the other hand is completely desperate from any other lens base. It is built specifically for grass, with the filter enabling the user to pick out contours in the green. It's not built for blocking out bright rays.

Realistically you'd be wearing a cap/visor on the course to eliminate the intensity of the sun. If it's overcast, the G30 will work well without a cap/visor.

Back