1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Dmburke42

Dmburke42 Oakley Beginner

Okay I have toyed with and almost bought a set of Costa Del Mar Fantails in a 580G Emerald or Blue lens color because I have read and heard nothing but great things about the lenses. Well I am a Oakley man....you guys tell me what the best lens color is for use on the lake? I use my glass a lot on the lake, because I am a Boating Officer. I have a pair of Fast Jackets and thinking about getting into a pair of Split Jackets, just for the easiness to change lenses if needed. Do you guys have any suggestions. It doesn't have to be just Oakley lenses, I have read good things about Revant optics, and a few others.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. pistolpetefan23

pistolpetefan23 Oakley Expert Premium Member

On water, have to make it polarized. Anything dark and polarized is good. If you're fishing, they make deep blue polarized and shallow blue polarized specifically for fishing.

3. Dmburke42

I figured that would be the only way to go for sure. My wife bought me a pair of Spy General Realtree Polarized with a bronze lens color. They were pretty good but I just wasn't satisfied most of the time, especially close to sunset with the extreme glare coming off the water.
    I haven't seen too many sets of Polarized Lens for the Fast Jacket anymore. I have even been looking for the Transition lenses and have had no luck at all

4. DG85

DG85 Oakley Enthusiast

I strongly advise against any lense that is third party. Your eye's health and optical clarity.

Also, imo transitions are silly. Certainly not for all and have their pros and cons so do your due diligence.

Go polarized, for sure. Mind you, polarized lenses do not help at sunset; they work with specific angles of light. A must have if you're going to be on water, only down fall will be if your use electronics with a screen that's going to distort.

Neutral or contrast.... I would probably get two frames or atleast two pairs of lenses to accommodate. Like i.e., you're navigating or fishing or overcast or extreme sun etc...

5. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

The deep blue is neutral and the shallow blue is contrast. IMO neither is ideal for full-on bright sun, though the deep blue is almost there.

They're also coming out with a water-specific Prizm but I know no details i.e. light trans %, other than seeing a pic of it.

Wavecloud, who's on the water a lot, just made a post elsewhere saying Daily Prizm worked great on water.

If you're looking for contrast and very bright conditions, VR28 BIP is a good choice.

6. Dmburke42

I have the VR28 unpolarized on my fast jackets and I'm really impressed. I could only imagine if they were polarized! My problem is I'm just wanting lenses for my Fast or Split jackets.

7. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

If you dont need to see into the water, just go with BIP

8. lastX

lastX Oakley Beginner

Light transmission are:
    deep water - 12%
    shallow water - 15%
    daily - 14%
    got this info from my local o store chart.

This makes deep water the "darkest" of the Prizm lenses.