• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Oakley Cycling Sunglasses?

madindehead

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys,

I am in the market for some shiny new sunglasses for cycling, and I'm going to be buying some Oakleys. I will be cycling in the UK all year with morning, afternoon and evening rides on the cards. I will also be cycling in the Alps and the Pyrenees and other mountainous areas.

I've been looking around the forum for advice on lenses, and it does get quite confusing! I'm not adverse to buying a few different lenses for cycling, as I will be wearing contact lenses when I'm out on the bike.

Hoping you can help me, and suggest the best lens/lenses for my needs!

Just to add: I am currently looking at some Jawbreakers with OO Red Iridium Polarised lenses. However, are these a good option?

What are the benefits of VR28 (BIP or not) and the Jade Iridium lenses (good for hot weather, intense sun?).

Thanks and regards :)

I noticed that the light transmission on the Prizm is higher than say the Jade Iridium which is recommended for hot and sunny conditions. Will this be ok in high altitude environments?

I'd vote OO Red polar as it's my favourite lens for the road - driving or biking. Especially when the road gets wet due to rain or the morning mist. Road prizm has nice contrast but no polar filter. Furthermore it's lighter than OO Red polar

Jade has an odd contrast color that not everyone can stomach. I personally find them useful only for snow areas. I suggest you try these out before you buy them.

VR28 has a few varieties: VR28 plain, VR28 BI, and VR28BIP. The VR28 BI and VR28 BIP are both really good all-rounders for all light conditions. If I can only afford 1 set of lenses then I'd go VR28 BIP.

At higher altitudes, you'll want darker lenses, as the atmosphere thins, the intensity of the sun proportionally increases.
Black iridium is the standard and the darkest neutral lens at 10% transmission. Polarization can be considered if you expect snow glare, but otherwise, you can live without it.
VR28 Black iridium (personal favourite) is a "contrast" lens, which results in colours being slightly more vivid, than a neutral lens.
00 Red is a beautiful lens to look at, and at 18% is a good all-round compromise for all day/all condition riding.
(I find I don't really carry spare lenses with me on a ride, as they inevitably end up in a sweat soaked, lumpy, baggy, and take up valuable pocket space in a standard jersey. Not to mention what can happen to them in the event of a get-off).
The Jawbreakers look like a great riding shade, and there are comments from owners (not me) that bear this out.
Their vertical field of vision is best in class of the new Os, as was the M frame of old.
The Radar/Radarlock come next, followed by the Racing Jackets (which significantly block both upper and lower vision in the drops especially, with it's thicker framing and smaller orbital aperture).
(I still find it unbelieveable that Cavendish used RJs to such effect in a mass sprint!!!)
You might also wish to check out the new Flak 2.0.

Cool thanks :)

Judging from these replies so far, OO Red Iridium is just a good all-round choice for me in the UK. And if I want something darker, go for a Black Iridium or a VR28 BIP?

Just used OO Red Iridium Polarized today cycling. My first time using them and liked them. The contrast was very good going both in and out of shaded areas as well as direct sun.

I live in upstate NY and use OO red iridium polarized when it's bright. I've also got "standard" vr-28 lenses that I picked up before learning about the OO lenses. At my elevation I can wear the vr-28 in conditions just about as bright as the OO lens and quite a bit darker. I find that although the vr-28 lets in a bunch more light I think that due to how my eyes see things and with the deep green and blue that my region has the lens just seems to work. I really love the OO lens for many things but don't find the vr-28 a real handicap. I use both lenses for road cycling, skiing, as well as general wear. As some other posters have noted given your altitude the regular vr-28 may very well not be dark enough so one of the polarized or other versions may fit the bill. Good luck with your choice. Oh and for riding especially I much prefer the coverage that the xlj size provides. I've had bugs find their way under the bottom of the standard size lens.

Give the Prizm road a test drive. if you only plan on using these glasses on the bike, definitely give the Radar EV a spin. As Flyer suggests, the Flak 2.0 are nice as well (that is what I have).

+1 to OO Red Iridium Pol.
But if you are using for Cycling/Mt. Bike Riding make sure you get the vented lenses, otherwise it will fog up pretty quick.
Believe me....it's not a pretty site or sight when you riding down Mt. with fogged up sunny.

Latest Posts

Back