• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Lighting For Old School Single Wide?

big bopper

Oakley Expert
Yorkshire, UK
I'm going to be wanting to light mine up soon enough so would appreciate some views as to the best solutions. I'm going to be lighting from the top only.

Cheers,

I am in the process of doing the same with the black cabinet. From the top I am using 6W MR16 Leds. I am using 6 for a double wide but on a single it would be 4. They are much cooler than the halogens. They use less juice too. Whats the top of the cabinet made out of?

I've got a single wide I need to light as well. Looking for just LEDs, but the top of the cabinet is an aluminum cap and I'll likely have to drill it out somewhere to fit cords.

I am in the process of doing the same with the black cabinet. From the top I am using 6W MR16 Leds. I am using 6 for a double wide but on a single it would be 4. They are much cooler than the halogens. They use less juice too. Whats the top of the cabinet made out of?

Where did you find 6W 120V MR16 bulbs? The only 120V ones I found had the wrong spacing on the 2-pin connector plug. Did you change the driver to run 12V LEDS? And the lowest voltage I could find in 120V were 15W. Are you using the stock drivers that come in the top of the case?

I took out everything in the cabinet, florescent's, wires and transformers, starting from scratch. Going to run all leds in 4 dimable zones, top, corners, bottom and logo. I am also adding a switch to turn off/on the rear logo as I am not sure I want it to light the wall. I will also install a 2nd switch to turn on leds inside the lower cabinet. They will all run on a 12V 150W driver, same bolt pattern as the fluorescent transformer in the top. I think its a bit overboard but I having fun doing it.

It's still got the diffuser built in. Here's what it looks like from the inside:

P1000611.jpg

And from the outside:

P1000612.jpg

I'm not looking for anything flash particularly, just something I can stick on top and have the power cable taped to one of the struts.

Cheers,

I am with you Big Bopper. I have 2 Double Wides I am looking to light up with the same diffuser. If at all possible I would like to light from the top. Looking for something easy that throws off enough light to light the cabinet. I am not into soldering or any of that mind of stuff. Just looking for something that is nearly "plug and play".

Back