• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Oakley's for me?

MattyIce

Oakley Beginner
Hello -

I was looking to buy some Oakley's for my upcoming season. I umpire baseball (about 150-200 games per year) and am on the go throughout summer in Michigan and the northeast US.

I'd like to wear them not only on sunny days but also on some windy days. The fields can get really dusty and if I don't wear something, dirt is guaranteed to get into my contacts.

I'd like to keep it under $300. In my research it seems my best bet would be a custom Radar with OO grey polarized lens.

Thoughts?

Also - with buying a custom lens, what if the frames don't fit my head? I know there are no returns, exchanges, etc. but would I really be out the $260 if they didn't even fit from the get-go?

Thanks!

You're talking about getting an OCP - Oakley Custom Program pair? Or prescription? I don't believe either program allows returns.

M Frames have an available gasket, as do the Split Jacket and Wind Jacket. That would help alleviate dust, but it can also act to catch heat and increase fogging.

If you end up liking the Radar line I'd recommend a vented lens and straight stems.

Best bet is to try on a pair. Bring your hat and mask with you and start trying out the sports pairs at a local store. Oakley stores and Vaults have in-store OCP with some available options, and they'll be able to help you out in person.

Check out 6pm.com for some great deals and free, fast shipping. I bought a few pairs there at discount prices. Latest deal was Fives Squared for $36.99 and I previously bought the Flak Jacket XLJs for $59.99 with a case:
Oakley, Eyewear, Men at 6pm.com

Oakley Vault often have great prices too. I picked up my Straight Jackets there for $64.99. Shipping was also free, but not very fast (12 days within the US):
Discount Oakley Eyewear — Oakley Vault

Welcome aboard :welcome:

I am with everybody else. For Umping Flaks and Radars would be best. Most sporting goods stores carry both. I would take your mask / helmet and put the glasses on with mask / helmet and also your cap, if you wear one to see which has the best all around fit, with the rest of your equipment. Then if you don't like the selection of lens choices, just custom order a pair from Oakley.

Hello -

I was looking to buy some Oakley's for my upcoming season. I umpire baseball (about 150-200 games per year) and am on the go throughout summer in Michigan and the northeast US.

I'd like to wear them not only on sunny days but also on some windy days. The fields can get really dusty and if I don't wear something, dirt is guaranteed to get into my contacts.

I'd like to keep it under $300. In my research it seems my best bet would be a custom Radar with OO grey polarized lens.

Thoughts?

Also - with buying a custom lens, what if the frames don't fit my head? I know there are no returns, exchanges, etc. but would I really be out the $260 if they didn't even fit from the get-go?

Thanks!

I use flak jackets for softball and I opted to get Rx lenses rather than use contacts. I also chose photochromic lenses so no matter the light condition cloudy or bright, they adapt perfectly. I am really happy with them but they were not cheap. Oh and as far as Rx lenses and frames go, if you get them at lenscrafters, you get 90 days to return them no questions asked.

Back