• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BEST OF THE BEST: Series 1 - Aviators

Ti crosshair. Classic teardrop style aviator with oakleys touch on the bridge and hammerstems. The ti frame is unbelievably lightweight and can be worn all day without any issue whatsoever. Just wish they had more color options like the deviation..

Well Badman is definitely aviator-inspired. I guess the radical bridge and heavier wire frame is defiant. Oakley generally makes defiant eyewear, but if you judge "aviator" by having a light wire frame and double bridge (but its really just a brand name) then I suppose Badman is too awesome to qualify.

Well Badman is definitely aviator-inspired. I guess the radical bridge and heavier wire frame is defiant. Oakley generally makes defiant eyewear, but if you judge "aviator" by having a light wire frame and double bridge (but its really just a brand name) then I suppose Badman is too awesome to qualify.
uh, ok. I'm still going with 'no'

So, really for this thread to work, I think there needed to be a poll question with a list of choices that the creator had in mind. It would be difficult, in that there are so many Oakley frames that exist and narrowing it down to say 5-10 choices for a poll would probably not be a fair representation of the full catalog of choices. It would be helpful though. As of right now Crosshairs seem to be taking the lead, but even Crosshairs can be broken down into multiple choices.

I have always qualified an aviator as any pair of sunglasses having a triangular shaped lens. Also, the crosshair is not a light wire frame.
As for "Aviator" being a brand name; it is not nor has it ever been. The original "Aviator" was developed by Bausch & Lomb and now marketed as Ray-Ban Aviators (per Wikipedia).

The Badman is completely square, not a wire frame at all, and I would say not inspired by anything, but an original shape and design. This is a good thing, just not an Aviator style sunglass.

So, really for this thread to work, I think there needed to be a poll question with a list of choices that the creator had in mind. It would be difficult, in that there are so many Oakley frames that exist and narrowing it down to say 5-10 choices for a poll would probably not be a fair representation of the full catalog of choices. It would be helpful though. As of right now Crosshairs seem to be taking the lead, but even Crosshairs can be broken down into multiple choices.
This way we get discussions. And I wouldn't have even thought of the Dispatch

I'd like to say the Inmate - but I don't think this really qualifies as an Aviator style.
Therefore, my vote is for the stretchline Warden . . . . simply because they look bad-a55 (and the Crosshair doesn't really suit me :( ).

Back