• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BEST OF THE BEST: Series 2 - Sports Specific

All pros and cons stacked, it would have to be the M-Frame. Functionality and versatility are there, but what puts it over the top is legacy. Even though a new sports pair gets marketed every few years at the TdF, Lance had the exceptional following. Fanboys wanted the Livestrong bands, the Trek he was riding, Nike gear, and those Oakley's he wore to the podium...

The cons I'd put out are:
-There's no Asian Fit nosepad. Smaller lenses don't solve the problem for people who need the pad. And this is annoying because it's such a small component that can make a big difference.
-Compared to newer pairs stress cracks are a notable issue through normal use, albeit that partly has to due with production processes at the given time.
-I personally believe the array of cuts is only so much of an advantage as the selection could've been simplified. I feel like Oakley actually made a great attempt at that with M2's cut, but they should've added a 3rd (larger) size, especially since they went ahead with a slimmer cut for AF.

Otherwise....while M-Frame wasn't created in the stone age, there were no 3D printers and I'm pretty sure modeling programs weren't on the same level of today to experiment with mechanisms and degrees of freedom with so many intricate details.. Yet it's been what? 25 years? with some tweaks here and there, but essentially the same frame. So legacy is what I consider the biggest attribute.

My favorite pair in the Jawbreaker has arguably been just as versatile, more carefully created, and has more technical ingenuity. But will it last for 25 years? Of course with current times designs get replaced more frequently, but I can imagine a future pair that outright does everything better in due time. The lens swap can be quicker, the stem adjustment can feel more solid imo, strap and gasket compatibility would make it ever so more versatile.

Within the M-Frame's lifespan, I'm not quite sure what the argument for the Radar and Radarlock were apart from AF and aesthetic — which were my two particular reasons for getting the 'Lock. If Oakley made the damn nosepiece it'd be game over imo. And then of course the M2 was a failure of trying to be an actual successor. I can't say the Jawbreaker has finally been the pair to render the M as obsolete, but it's been a legitimate step forward. There's enough differences to say it's more than a makeover.

If the question is sports-specific, and the best, then it has to be the M-Frame for me. As a cyclist, I find it it is unsurpassed for coverage. You don't want blind spots when you are amongst traffic, including when you are looking over your shoulder to see if there is anything behind you.

I like the designs of some of the other sports frames - Jawbone/RJ in particular - but in terms of functionality they just got the M-Frame bang on.

I would say M Frame, because they are the most functional, but the one that got me into Oakley, and still the best looking IMO, is the Razorblade.

I'd have to say the M Frame. I can see real athletes flocking to it because it is light and simple. Radar is for style, but for function, you go to the M Frame.

Agree with M Frame. Personally I don't have any; use radarlock. And the new Jawbreaker is very attractive.

But just the sheer legacy of how long the frame's been around shows that it's a winning design, proven across the board.

Agree with M Frame. Personally I don't have any; use radarlock. And the new Jawbreaker is very attractive.

But just the sheer legacy of how long the frame's been around shows that it's a winning design, proven across the board.
Yep. And I don't own any either. I have a Radar and a M2, though.

Going against the grain here, but (probably due to only having tried on a m frame once. . .in a store) I would go with the radarlock. Love the design, the ease of changing the lenses, and how lightweight the frame is whilst still feeling fairly sturdy. That being said, I am looking forward to the radarlock EV (maybe going to be released sometime in the months leading up to Rio2016 and in an incredibly vibrant colour due to sponsorship restrictions?) as the increased vertical height is pretty sweet.

lol I have 2 Radars, 2 Flak Jackets, 2 Half Jackets and a pair of Fast Jackets. No M Frame and I still voted for it. My first pair of Oakleys was a M Frame. Wish I still had it. I have no idea what happened to it.

Going against the grain here, but (probably due to only having tried on a m frame once. . .in a store) I would go with the radarlock. Love the design, the ease of changing the lenses, and how lightweight the frame is whilst still feeling fairly sturdy. That being said, I am looking forward to the radarlock EV (maybe going to be released sometime in the months leading up to Rio2016 and in an incredibly vibrant colour due to sponsorship restrictions?) as the increased vertical height is pretty sweet.
Just so you're aware - the M Frame is minutes faster for lens changes than any Radar, and the stock lenses have more height than the XL/EV with no temple view obstructions.

Back