1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. patrol 32

patrol 32 Oakley Beginner

hello all I work as a patrol officer in the desert of Southern California. I drive a vehicle for about 8-9 hours a day...I'm also in and out constantly. It is always extremely sunny here, and the heat can go up to 120. I have always used black iridium polarized for my tint (I wear rx sunglasses) but I see that Oakley is incorporating prizm in their rx now. My question is based on my activities posted above, what tint would be the best? Black iridium polarized, or prizm daily or road? Thanks

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. thisguy

thisguy Oakley Expert

I think vr28bip would make a nice lens tint for you.

patrol 32 likes this.
  3. Toy4x

Toy4x Oakley Enthusiast

I live in the High Desert in So Cal. My go to lens is Titanium.

Light transmissions:
    BIP - 9% neutral
    Titanium - 12% contrast
    Daily Prizm Polar - 14% contrast
    VR28 BIP - 14% contrast
    OO Red I Polar - 18% contrast
    Road Prizm - 20% contrast

My eyes are very sensitive. I drive from the High Desert to Los Angeles 5 days a week, 75 miles one way. I fell In love with the titanium lens. The contrast lens is great, it is a little darker than dpp, but lighter than BIP.

I have tried road prizm, but it doesn't have the polar required up here in the desert. And during bright light, it doesn't work for me.

DPP is a beautiful lens, no doubt. My dad has these, but when I tried them out, I really like the ti more.

I have OO red iridium polar as well. They are outstanding in not as bright days. Anytime besides dead of summer. Problem with the desert, you get that reflection off the sand/dirt. I would switch from OO RIP and Ti no problems. Depending on season.

Vr28 BIP.. I don't have this lens.

OO BIP - rose constrat tint. Used this for a couple years before finding titanium. Great overall lens.

patrol 32 likes this.
  4. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

Daily Prizm might be your bag

patrol 32 likes this.
  5. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Prizm road looks great but it's not polar and the light trans % is too high for full-on bright. I would also point towards Daily but it's not one of the ones available in Rx, at least yet.

patrol 32 likes this.
  6. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

patrol 32 likes this.
  7. flyer

flyer Oakley Expert

Please allow yourself to try tungsten polarized.
    (15%, contrast lens)
    I find it very easy on my eyes, and more widely available than Ti.
    The nonpolarized version ( in my New C Wires) are my favourite drivers, but I don't deal with the glare you have.

patrol 32 likes this.
  8. Kuualoha75

Kuualoha75 Oakley Enthusiast

I'd say try Daily Prizm. Maybe stay away from polarized as it will mess with your vision on your units computer screen.
    If you're looking for darker lens, Black Iridium could also be an option.
    I'd say since you're in CA try to make it into the HQ on a Tuesday or Friday for law enforcement days and check both lens options and utilize their law enforcement discount!
    Good luck. Let us know what you choose!

patrol 32 likes this.
  9. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

You sure on that one?

kronin323 likes this.
  10. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

I personally like Black Iridium Polarized as it darkens everything and reduces glare without changing the tint of anything you're looking at. Since you are in law enforcement seeing colors as they are should be very important in identifying what a suspect is wearing.
    If you currently use that lens and it's working for you I would suggest staying with it as its a great lens.
    The only concern would be looking at your computer screens in the vehicle as the polarization may not line up properly with the screens. But if it does then you're good. :)

patrol 32 likes this.