• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BEWARE (caution): Minute Machine/Time Tank Owners!! PLEASE READ And Contribute Pics!

CrazyALee

I should Work at Oakley
CA, USA
BEWARE: Minute Machine/Time Tank owners!! (bracelet problem) PLEASE READ!

I recently bought a used Minute Machine. Only had it for few days...and out of nowhere, the bracelet RANDOMLY popped open!!!!! I freaked out, trying to close the clasp, but it wouldnt lock! (*Note I did not bang or drop my watch, I was simply wearing it**)

As I examined my watch closer, I found that the locking mechanism in thee clasp was broken internally on one side! Theres a very thin "L shaped" bracket with a spring (see 2nd pic of how it looks normally). I think this is "poor" design on this part...

The pic below shows the broken side on the left. You can see the spring dislodged along with some other shattered metal piece underneath it (appears as a white-ish square/rectangle directly under the spring in the picture). This was a piece of the "L bracket" that broke in half...

The broken pieces prevent the stud from properly sitting in place. I tried wiggling the clasp so the freely moving broken pieces were out of the way, so that I was able to snap the one side that still works.....but I had to try multiple times to get it right....hence the watch was practically unwearable. =(
DSC05555.jpg

Luckily I was not too far from Oakley HQ, a friend suggested I ask for Mike at the warranty department, he's the "watch Guru." I was lucky enough to catch him, and he changed the clasp on my watch free of charge.....I asked if this was the first time this happened...and he shook his head and said we've had several..its a KNOWN ISSUE apparently. I asked if there is any way to prevent this from happening, he said not really...

My guess is if you close your clasp, it puts a lot of stress on that very THIN L bracket...the spring wants to push the L bracket in a closed/locked position, while the stud forces it to compress the spring. So my suggestion is every time you put on the watch, push in both buttons on the clasp, and hold it, so that when close the clasp, theres NO SNAP, then when it sits flush (in closed position), release the 2 buttons so that it locks. This would prevent the lock from "clicking" and would lessen the amount of stress on the L bracket....

So here is the 2nd pic....my replacement clasp, showing how the mechanism normally looks. Notice how thin the L bracket is, circled in red. As you can see in the first picture above, the "L bracket" totally snapped/broke at that thin corner.
DSC05559.jpg

and just FYI, this is what I have been referring to as the "Stud"
DSC05557.jpg

For fellow time tank/minute machine owners, would you mind posting pictures of your clasp to confirm if they all have that thin "L-bracket?"

Last edited:
I'm trying to be extra careful with my clasp now....the method I use to put on the watch is described above..its pretty much like taking off the watch, but backwards....MAKING SURE YOU PUSH IN THOSE 2 releasing BUTTONS on the side...so theres no click when its secure, and releasing the buttons after you're sure it will lock flush.

i have used mine pretty often and had never problems with the clasp....

anyone else with that problem?!?

My diamond dial one has the same issue you have, my red dial one doesn't.
I need to send the former into HQ to get the clasp fixed.

Good info here, glad to know they will fix it since they know about the problem. No issues with mine so far, but I will take your advice. This same thing happened to my brother's Holeshot, I think the stainless steel banded ones use the same concept.