• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Beware of Buying Watches That Need A New Battery

HogansHero

Oakley Beginner
Just a heads up to newbies. I learned the hard way, bought a Blade 2 that just needed a new battery on ebay. Took it to jeweler friend and discovered battery had exploded causing damage to other components. Cost additional $50 to repair. Be weary when making bids on watches that just need a new battery.

Could be seller had no idea that is what happened inside the watch.

If I were selling a watch that needed a battery I wouldn't be opening it to find out too.

Could be seller had no idea that is what happened inside the watch.

If I were selling a watch that needed a battery I wouldn't be opening it to find out too.
That could have been the case. As the seller claimed to be an Oakley rep., can't imagine he'd do that on purpose. Also, my jeweler friend recommended that I pull all the batteries from the watches I don't use on a regular basis to avoid this problem. Pulling the stem out isn't a fix. Beginning to get concerned about my 12 gauge that needs a battery.

That could have been the case. As the seller claimed to be an Oakley rep., can't imagine he'd do that on purpose. Also, my jeweler friend recommended that I pull all the batteries from the watches I don't use on a regular basis to avoid this problem. Pulling the stem out isn't a fix. Beginning to get concerned about my 12 gauge that needs a battery.
I'd go insane if I had to do that.

Anyone selling a watch with a disclaimer that it needs a new battery is flat out lazy. Give the buyer peace of mind and get a new one installed and provide a receipt to show the work was done by a qulified person. I wil never understand people.
That would be ideal.

I bought a Minute Machine stating it needed a new battery. When I got it it was working perfectly. I think the buyer may not have known the second hand only runs when the chronometer is activated. Its still running a year and 1/2 later. If I was to sell one it would have a new battery, not only piece of mind for the buyer, but the seller as well. I wouldn't want a return from the buyer after he has taken it to Joe Blows Fast Fix.

You don't have to worry about automatic watches having a battery blow out and make a mess;) all joking aside I completely understand your frustration. Had the same issue only to come find out the movement was completely shot and needed a replacement. That was my last and final purchase on eBay. Yes I did ask all the questions prior to purchasing and I was still lied to. Some people just want to make a quick buck :(

Latest Posts

Back