• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Big Taco - Discontinued?

TheWannaBe

Resident Lurker
Premium Member
O Universe
Was in an O-store today to pick up some ruby big taco lenses and the manager told me the big taco line is being discontinued. He didnt knownif it would be replaced but knew the frame and lenses would be out of production by the end of the year, if not sooner. So stock up in lenses fellas!

Side note, ran into a great forum member while there :) always fun to meet forum people!

Hopefully that entire class of glasses is being retired. Seems like those came out just to fill the gap; much better stuff coming out now. Garage Rock, Offshoot, etc.

Hopefully that entire class of glasses is being retired. Seems like those came out just to fill the gap; much better stuff coming out now. Garage Rock, Offshoot, etc.
Considering that the Offshoot is the shield version of the Big Taco, I assume that it is coming to an end?

I can only hope for some blowout sales for both. Lol

Offshoot still current trough summer at least. Not sure what's happening past that.

They tend to keep replacement lenses available much longer after a frame is discontinued. So regardless of whether BTs are discontinued or not, I find it unlikely that replacement lenses would also be discontinued so quickly afterwards.

And who knows what all else is coming - badman hasn't released replacement lenses yet, but they will. And they might be just as broadly suitable.

But, aside from being suitable donors for a lot of frames, the other advantage to BTs is the wide variety of available colors. And, if discontinued, the color selection could constrict quickly. And there's no telling if the Next Best Thing will have the same color variety - badmans are all polarized, for example, and they release less colors in polar...

Time will tell. But too early to panic yet, IMO...

They tend to keep replacement lenses available much longer after a frame is discontinued. So regardless of whether BTs are discontinued or not, I find it unlikely that replacement lenses would also be discontinued so quickly afterwards.

And who knows what all else is coming - badman hasn't released replacement lenses yet, but they will. And they might be just as broadly suitable.

But, aside from being suitable donors for a lot of frames, the other advantage to BTs is the wide variety of available colors. And, if discontinued, the color selection could constrict quickly. And there's no telling if the Next Best Thing will have the same color variety - badmans are all polarized, for example, and they release less colors in polar...

Time will tell. But too early to panic yet, IMO...
I can't help but wonder what Oakley thinks about the disproportionally high volume of big taco lens sales vs frame sales.

I wish they would do an annual lens release for old x metal frames just for like a month every year. Produce a few hundred pairs of lenses in each color for each metal frame. If they don't sell by the next year then don't make more till they do sell out. Just seems like it would be inexpensive enough to do this and would make a lot of people really happy. Same with rubber sets. I mean what's it cost to make these lenses? 50 cents?

Back