• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Big Taco - Discontinued?

I wish they would do an annual lens release for old x metal frames just for like a month every year. Produce a few hundred pairs of lenses in each color for each metal frame. If they don't sell by the next year then don't make more till they do sell out. Just seems like it would be inexpensive enough to do this and would make a lot of people really happy. Same with rubber sets. I mean what's it cost to make these lenses? 50 cents?

They don't want people giving new life to old models. While I understand where you're coming from and agree with you, I've made the argument in the past that Lux had its eye on killing the X-Metal line from day one if for no other reason than a) it was a line that couldn't be outsourced to China due to the production complexity and b) they are made too f-ing well. The frames are near indestructible or refurbishable with coating techniques - so outside of lenses, the owner can keep the product in good functional and aesthetic order indefinitely. The company wants you buying new product- not getting by with old. Now I can definitely make the argument that if Oakley did with X-Metals (and other Golden Era) models what Nike and Jordan do with retros they'd make a ton of money but the retooling etc needed to produce a Juliet or Splice vs these newer frames is more involved than it is for sneakers.

There's nothing they can really do about people custom cutting lenses unless they deliberately start designing new lenses to not be compatible with popular custom cut models....or just cut down on replacement lens offerings which, to be honest, I'm surprised the haven't done that to force the consumer to buy a new frame to get new lenses

They don't want people giving new life to old models. While I understand where you're coming from and agree with you, I've made the argument in the past that Lux had its eye on killing the X-Metal line from day one if for no other reason than a) it was a line that couldn't be outsourced to China due to the production complexity and b) they are made too f-ing well. The frames are near indestructible or refurbishable with coating techniques - so outside of lenses, the owner can keep the product in good functional and aesthetic order indefinitely. The company wants you buying new product- not getting by with old. Now I can definitely make the argument that if Oakley did with X-Metals (and other Golden Era) models what Nike and Jordan do with retros they'd make a ton of money but the retooling etc needed to produce a Juliet or Splice vs these newer frames is more involved than it is for sneakers.

There's nothing they can really do about people custom cutting lenses unless they deliberately start designing new lenses to not be compatible with popular custom cut models....or just cut down on replacement lens offerings which, to be honest, I'm surprised the haven't done that to force the consumer to buy a new frame to get new lenses

While I see your point, the only issue I have is the timeline. Lux took over in 2007, which means the X-Metal line ran for five more years, why did it run that long if they were intent on shutting it down? Also, the X Squared came out in 2009, again why did it if Lux wanted the X-Metal line shut down.

The XS was already designed and in pre production when the buyout happened (as was the PB), didn't make sense to bring that to a halt with the money invested. I'm even curious if the XS saved the entire X-Metal line for a few years because they needed to keep the facility operating for it so they all survived as a whole. As it was the prices started being raised the instant the takeover was complete and all that aside- you don't go in and make too many changes too soon- that pisses people off- you use frog in hit water strategy by slowly torpedoing models, then moving certain frame manufacturing overseas, then more. Besides the company still needed to make money while Lux executed its new business strategy-once they had that up and running, they killed off more and more models including the metals

I really doubt the custom cutting lens sales are significant enough in volume for anyone to notice, much less care. Niche of a niche and all that.

LUxoTIcA
ReTirINg CustoM BIg TACO LeNses
L,U,T,I,A,T,N,M,I,T,A,C,O,L,N

or in other words:

ILLUMINATI TACO

I should've seen that **** from a mile away. That's the last ****ing time I buy Oakley.
Only just saw this but so funny! Bravo Ventruck.

Latest Posts

Back