• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Blackhawk Down Lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can pull off chrome for the R1 going OEM...

This is not to argue, but merely state the facts:

And a car is a whole different world. It can be argued as similar, but it's really not. Take for instance adding a 4brl carb to a 350 small block upgrading from a 2brl. Regardless of maker (for the most part), it is an improvement. More power. Take my Jetta, I can yank off the K03s turbo and drop in a larger unit, or a ball bearing Garret or similar...That would be an improvement....Now if on the flipside, I put on some hack Chinese knock off, that would reduce reliability. So you can see, the argument isn't the same. If you slap some APC **** on a Honda, is it better?? How about all the bolt on crap at Pep Boys??? Faux Carbon Shift knobs with "hahahaha' Nitrous buttons?? Again, degrading the car, not improving, same thing as a piece of **** lens. This is a purely cosmetic argument because you won't ever win a technical argument slapping some swap meet lenses in an Oakley frame...Sorry. And I am not all obsessive like I was some years ago...If they will never be viewed through your eyes, then by all means. But if you wear them, why not save yourself the long wait for cataracts and degenerative muscular conditions your eyes will eventually be subjected to, and stab your eyes with a fork?? That may be a bit far fetched, but I take my eyes serious as about a large majority here do as well, otherwise this would be the Wiley X, Kaenon, or Maui Jim forum, wouldn't it? And Maui Jim and Kaenon are some of the crappiest optics out there, we saw it first hand at the co-pilot event...VERY BAD!!
But that's assuming people view the lenses as the only vital part of the glasses, which it is an important part of. But for me, in the case of X-Metals, the frame is every bit as important, if not more. If it were not for the frames, nothing else would matter as I wouldn't buy it and wear it anyways, awesome OEM lenses or not. That's just me though. I love metals way too much that not having OEM lenses will deter me. LOL

I agree with you on the fact that the majority of aftermarket lenses out there are crap. But after my first purchase with Linegear, I have to say they really aren't a bad substitute if you can't find what you're looking for with OEM. They're leaps and bounds better than exovista or Walleva, that's for sure. Those two companies don't even compare. Linegear, however, is definitely closer to the OEM standard. Their rubber sets are pretty solid too.

Until I see them on the laser at HQ, or the HDO test, there's no chance for me...If they scope out well, then I would consider them also...But again, that's just me and I am super sensitive to getting headaches from glasses..

I'd be interested to see how LG lenses test. I'd like to know how close they actually are to OEM as they are the first aftermarket lens that I didn't feel were absolute crap.

hmmmm,
all the maui jim geeks out there say there optics are the best.i think their arcitecture is hideous.

Maui Jims look like you can break them one-handed. Never liked them.

Still looking for the right set of Ruby Iridium lenses like XMM has. I think they'd be worth my wife's wrath.

I saw MJ shatter, so I'd be scared to wear that lol The thing about all other lenses is that they don't incorporate tapered correction which is part of the XYZ/HDO optics end of Oakley's tech. I may ask and see if they still have the laser setup and get my hands on a pair of those lenses to pop in a frame and see if they will scope em...would be interesting to
see

Not so sure about the priced to move part but if someone out there is willing to fork over the $$$$ then go for it I guess :king:
He was just being facetious. But those Gen1 Ruby lenses do look great comparied to the Frubies of today. I wish I could get my hands on a set of them for my Juliets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back