1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. midwestbroncosfan

midwestbroncosfan Oakley Beginner

I recently came across someone selling a pair of Blue Anodized Penny's. Has anyone ever seen this? I know X-Man can do some great make-overs, but wasn't sure about this.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. mopiko

mopiko Oakley Enthusiast

Yea saw that too..no reserve

3. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

I think a lot of us are going to recently across these and I was expecting this to have come from that seller out in Nevada.
    As with any other custom it will speak to some folks and how loudly remains to be seen. Its an interesting take though!

4. midwestbroncosfan

Looked like they were worn quit a bit and the blue is starting to wear off in places.

5. Dyeraudio

Dyeraudio Juliet Enthusiast

That Penny looks like someone blasted the front of the pair with a rattle can. If not then definitely a garage anodizing job IMHO....Looks to be no color anywhere but on the front of the orbitals.....

6. midwestbroncosfan

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! It will be interesting to see what it ends up going for. I won't be bidding.

7. midwestbroncosfan

Well, here is the response I got.

I had them anodized at a race shop in Golden CO called TEC, turbo engineering corp. they can be anodized a variety of different colors, but not Every color, since they are Titanium. The process works by supplying a specific DC current through the part inside an electrolyte solution, usually just TSP. I watched them do the whole thing it was very interesting, as they change the voltage, the color changes!

8. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

looks anodized to me. From what i've been told, titanium sucks to anno.

9. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Prepping the metal will also make a huge impact on the finish. Based on the pics it appears to me they didn't prep the frame well enough. There is another prep process to get the titanium frame to hold a great finish.

10. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

POLISH FIRST THEN ANNODIZE.............