1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. MJLSr

MJLSr Oakley Expert

Sharing a pair that has immediately become one of my favorites, with a twist in the spirit of a 'review' :)

A quick note: I am creating this thread as I do not wish to overload or hijack the "Anodizing X-Metals by XMC optics" thread, many thanks to @InfiniteHero for making this pair happen. I already posted a short reply and a couple of pics over there so i'll share the rest of the details here ;)

I went into this with some experience anodizing various things [as some of you may have already known]. I felt strongly that since this is not a coating, but a transformation of the surface itself that the better the raw materials, the better the product would be. This may seem obvious, but it is worth stating as the anodizing process will generally enhance or 'amplify' the characteristics of the piece - for better or worse. I had an OCP Polished Juliet in like new condition and after debating the colorways I wound up somewhere between blue and purple, since that gave me the most choices to match lenses and rubbers. Having decided on the target colorway I sent the frames away.

Fast forward with the freshly anodized frame in hand I went over the detail of the frame... The finish was remarkable. I have had various items anodized in the past - lots of paintball gear. Add the display pieces I have done over the past couple of years... This was as good as any of those. The marbleized detail in the anodizing mirrored the factory polished finish in incredible detail. I could still see the polish under the color as it shifted with the light in an even manner. As a bonus the etched SKU was clearIy visible. I tried to capture this in one of the pictures; it looks very clear in person. This would likely be the case with any non-etched anodized frame, retaining the SKU, serial, and any other factory etching. I don't know if it would be the same on an etched frame, as in etching as part of the anodizing process, but I doubt it would be as clear, if visible at all. I attribute that level of detail to the LNIB polished finish and the proper anodizing of the frame, of course. I could not have been happier! :D

So rewind a little, then pause - I had planned a pair of Ice lenses and blue rubbers for these. It was not until I received them back and tried black, blue, and purple/IH rubbers that I decided on the white. There was a similar story for the lenses. I had Ice, Ice polar, BI, and finally the Ichiro OO Blue's you see in the majority of the pics, which I have decided will stay (I think). I also adjusted the arms to my desired fit. The reason I am going into detail here is that after over 2 hours of trying multiple colorways the frame, and all the areas I had worked including the orbitals, screws, arm adjustments, and so on. I realized I had worked the frame over pretty good. I had it together and apart half a dozen times, slipped a few times, rubbed it with my wedding ring, and at least one slip of a torx bit - all without a mark or scratch. I know this seems like a small and perhaps obvious thing to some, 'just take your time and be careful', but I cannot tell you how many times I have marked up a frame just doing the simple little things - it happens, even when we are careful.

Again, think of this as a 'review' of the finished product. A very positive review for the pair overall and especially so for the anodized finish. Not only is this one of my new favorites, but it could very well be the next or 'missing' Ichiro - it has that kind of aura to it, as if it could have come from the factory this way. :biggrin:

Now here I have the result, fully assembled and none worse for the wear and tear I put it through tweaking it. :cool:

Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - 51 Anodized Blue Juliet with OO Blue Ichiro Lenses and White OEM Rubbers-2.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - 51 Anodized Blue Juliet with OO Blue Ichiro Lenses and White OEM Rubbers-1.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - Polar Anodized blue Juliet with Ice-2.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - Polar Anodized blue Juliet with Ice-1.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - Anodized Blue Juliet with Ice non-polar-2.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - Anodized Blue Juliet with Ice non-polar-1.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - 51 Anodized Blue Juliet with OO Blue Ichiro Lenses and White OEM Rubbers-6.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - 51 Polished Anodized Blue Juliet with OO Blue Ichiro Lenses and White OEM Rubbers-5.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - 51 Anodized Blue Juliet with OO Blue Ichiro Lenses and White OEM Rubbers-4.jpg Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - 51 Anodized Blue Juliet with OO Blue Ichiro Lenses and White OEM Rubbers-3.jpg
    And one last pic showing the factory-etched SKU - it is quite clear in person, trust me =] Blue Anodized Polished Juliet - Ichiro Style - Anodized blue Juliet SKU etching.jpg

Ben G, thisguy, Sup808 and 14 others like this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. pjd1234

pjd1234 X METAL NERD

very nice bro now go with the ice and send me blue ichis lol.

Sup808 likes this.
  3. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

Amazing...

4. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

Those are...:shock:...awesome!

5. IUSTEVE

IUSTEVE Oakley Expert

Absolutely the most stunning pair of Juliets I've ever laid eyes on.....a job WELL done

InfiniteHero and MJLSr like this.
  6. MJLSr

MJLSr Oakley Expert

I said almost the exact same thing earlier today! ;)

IUSTEVE likes this.
  7. BHarry

BHarry The Eclectic Collector

Wow, those are just awesome! I really like the final configuration. That finish came out great. After seeing the original thread, I have been considering getting one done. Now, I might have to keep my eye out for another polished frame...Congrats!

8. joecool862

joecool862 Keeper of the Skull Premium Member Lifetime Member

Beautiful piece man, absolutely stunning! Love the white with the blue. Couldn't look any nicer... Wear them well :)

9. MJLSr

MJLSr Oakley Expert

I will... and I wear them ALL! (NSW)

joecool862 likes this.
  10. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

Loving both your work @MJLSr @InfiniteHero on these.

I'm usually an advocate of black rubber on a custom, particularly with a coloured frame, but with that shade I reckon you made the right call.

Food for thought, I have a pair of blue Ichiros I'm not using yet....

And on a bit of a side note, someone asked the other day about a frame having just 55 O 21 on the stem, here's the perfect example - 5th gen OCP frames can't show an SKU because there isn't one set for every possible combo so they just show size instead, like this.

MJLSr and discostu like this.