• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bottle Rocket Versus Flak Jacket XLJ (both With Same Lens)

e-man

Oakley Beginner
I think this might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. I am currently considering one of these two frames with black iridium polarized lenses. If both frames are fitted with the exact same lens, is there really any difference between the two? I realize that the styling is slightly different, and I know that the Flak Jackets have arms that snap into place when fully opened, but aside from that, is there a reason to go with one versus the other if the primary reason I am buying them is for golf? I have read that the Bottle Rockets are made specially for fishing, but I don't understand why that would be if both have the exact same lens.

Thanks for any help.

e

Yes definitely a difference. I have Flak Jackets but the Bottle Rockets fit my face MUCH better and my face is mediumbig.

Bottle Rocket's don't have nose bombs, which was a concern for me. Can't beat the trusty Flak Jacket. They're built like a tank.

If price is a priority the Bottle Rocket retails for $160 as opposed to the Flak Jacket's for $210. Note that for the money with the Flak Jacket you also get an included soft vault whereas just a microfiber bag with the Bottle Rocket.

However I would still go with a Radar over all of them.

It is not all about the lens really. Honestly I don't think that bottle rocket is a sport specific frame. They just look to tamed if you will. And if you need a pair for golfing then flak all the way! You won't go wrong with that frame and they look really awesome. That's my take and I'm sure others will agree with me.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Very helpful. Price is really not an issue. Like the first poster said, the Bottle Rockets seem to fit my face better and the lenses seem to give better/lower coverage when I'm standing over the ball (which is important for me because these will be prescription lenses).

Batwolf, you mentioned that the Bottle Rockets don't have nose bombs. I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know what that is. Could you please explain?

e

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Very helpful. Price is really not an issue. Like the first poster said, the Bottle Rockets seem to fit my face better and the lenses seem to give better/lower coverage when I'm standing over the ball (which is important for me because these will be prescription lenses).

Batwolf, you mentioned that the Bottle Rockets don't have nose bombs. I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know what that is. Could you please explain?

e
Have you tried polarized lenses for golf before?

There's not much reflection and glare that needs to be cut down with an iridium polarized lens, and some people tend to have issues with depth perception using polarized lenses. Plus going with such a dark tint makes them not so useful if you have cloud cover.

I'd suggest a VR28 Black Iridium, or something else in the 12-15% range with contrast base.

Unless you've weighed all the options already and you know what's what and what lens you want.

Oh, and like Jacket said, nose bombs are what the rubber nose pads are called. Ear socks being the rubber on the stems (which I think the Bottle Rocket lacks as well). The rubber not only holds them to your face better, they'll let you perch them lower on your nose, or up on your hat, or in your shirt. So, I guess the rubber helps keep them wherever you put it.

The bottle rocket does have rubber on the earstems. But like others have said, they don't have nose bombs. For golf, I would absolutely go with the flak jacket xlj. Love the flak jacket, they're extremely reliable and sturdy. Perfect for sports.

If you watch golf, you will notice the Flak Jackets are the most popular. But with that said, wear what fits best. Don't forget the G30 lens is a golf specific lens, you should probably add this as an extra lens.

Back