• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BriP's second Xmetal XX - Another restoration project

hey guys, im sure you all remember my Halloween special from last year when i restored a XX.. and transplanted hammerstems onto my juliet.

no such tomfoolery this time- its a TiO2 we're dealing with!

Thanks to rustpot for passing these along, i think it belonged to Another forum member as well before that?

This pair was in real rough shape. Luckily, the lenses are still in good shape, and all screws are intact.

here it is after a quick wash and lens removal-
dcff0238-8944-6a58.jpg

first and foremost, that is not a lighting issue- the plasma
has oxidised to the point of being bronze. i was kind of surprised when i took it out of the bag.. so crazy! and such an even finish too. this is gen2 plasma, which obviously still has issues, but isnt as brittle or tempermental as gen1 (although not as pretty imo).

furthermore, one of the hinges were misaligned-
dcff0243-8a06-7714.jpg

just mildly, and a fairly common issue ive seen in some xmetals.
i tracked the cause to a worn hinge washer which was already falling out
dcff0252-8a5c-950c.jpg

it also would need a tuneup.

this was therefore the perfect piece for me- something to tear down, and rebuild from the ashes, just as they were designed to be. I love restoration.

So i tore down the frame, all rubbers off, lenses out, screws out, and arms off. clean all that- seems like the hinges havent been touhed before considering 3 of the 8 hinge washers were worn down, and 1 was missing (probably completely worn away), and there was a buildup of black gunk and sand in the hinge and screw threads as well. this probably caused the plastic washers to wear that badly.

i took to one orbital with metal polish- with decent results.
dcff0252-4737-4f05.jpg

here is a left-right comparison. left- unrestored and bronze, right- polished down and silver again.
dcff022b-8bab-7e41.jpg

youll notice ill have to go over it again as ive missed out some spots and the lens groove. ill do it thoroughly tomorrow, i was just testing this and it went well.

more updates as she goes!
dcff024c-8c64-2661.jpg

update! assembled:
dcff0251-49aa-eef4.jpg

both orbitals now completely back to silver. looks alot better already.. the nosebridge has some wear on the front.. anyone know how to resurface Xmetal? besides bead blasting of course..
dcff023c-1beb-615b.jpg

no biggie if there isnt- its more o a wearer anyway, with no box/coin etc.

Latest Posts

Back