• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

BriP's second Xmetal XX - Another restoration project

You can ask a goldsmith or watchmaker near you.
These tools are used to mat different materials.

Those are for applying a brushed finish, X-metal is a media blasted finish. Once you find out the proper media it should be fairly simple.

Glad to see you got them! I actually liked the golden color of the orbitals, sadly they just didn't fit and I didn't have enough experience with X Metal to know what to do besides send them to Oakley.

I'm excited to see them finished!

Glad to see you got them! I actually liked the golden color of the orbitals, sadly they just didn't fit and I didn't have enough experience with X Metal to know what to do besides send them to Oakley.

I'm excited to see them finished!

hey rustie! yeah i actually was thinking about leaving the bronze patina, but after looking at it awhile i decided the original tiO2 would look better.

i will reassble them and send it off to get the flex coupler tuned up. ill have to look into getting the xmetal nosebridge refinished though.. an itll be a real nice piece..!

Yes, I've worked with them before restoring watch cases. They leave a unidirectional finish, meaning if you change the feed angle it would be noticable. Mostly they are used for circular and simple flat items where maintaing a constant angle is fairly easy. They would probably work for the nose bridge, but the stems would be difficult to do without leaving looking wavy were there are nessesary changes of angle.

Yes, I've worked with them before restoring watch cases. They leave a unidirectional finish, meaning if you change the feed angle it would be noticable. Mostly they are used for circular and simple flat items where maintaing a constant angle is fairly easy. They would probably work for the nose bridge, but the stems would be difficult to do without leaving looking wavy were there are nessesary changes of angle.

yeah i only need to do it on the middle portion of the nosebridge. the earstems are fine except for the very tips of them.

do you tihink the wirebrush method is feasible? i'll go to a jeweller and ask what they would do.

I think it would for the nose bridge, but would not match 100% the original finish. How close you could get Im not sure, but I think trying to find the right blasting media would work best. Even if you just wanted to touch up the nose bridge, a quick shot with some random media like copper slag would get ride of the polished look.

Latest Posts

Back