1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 Oakley Expert

I have an opportunity to buy some broken craters. The orbitals are broken. The part that slips into the nose bridge looks like it broke off clean. I know there's no way to fix it but there are several like this, some left broken, some right. I figure i can buy one of each and try to swap parts and get a complete set and some leftover spare parts. Each set is complete with box and coin.

What I'm curious about is what to pay for each set. I've only seen the parts and haven't talked price yet. Any input would be appreciated.

Broken Mars orbitals - image.jpg Broken Mars orbitals - image.jpg Broken Mars orbitals - image.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 Oakley Expert

Also. The seller is willing to part out pretty much anything. So prices on just pieces are also helpful.

@THE X-MAN you may have some good insight on this.

3. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Since your chances of finding the right parts needed to MPH those back together are really dang slim, I wouldn't pay any more than chump change, say $50 tops.

Sure that's a big drop in value, but they're really just scrap now and should be priced accordingly.

4. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 Oakley Expert

Just offered 200 for one full set and opposite side broken frame. Won't sell even one full set for 200. He says he can sell the lenses for 125 and the box for 100 then the frames for whatever.

He has eleven total sets and sees dollar signs.

5. kronin323

He's overvaluing them. Time will tell.

6. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

Id pay 100.00 for the box and coin.if it were me id find a guy who can weld Ti and have a nice set.im guessin the tab is still in the bridge?

7. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 Oakley Expert

I assume the tabs are all there only because the bridge pins are intact.

8. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

How does that even happen? What ever happened to "there is no way that frame is going to break, we've driven over it with a tank"?

CrazyALee likes this.
  9. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 Oakley Expert

Maybe these were the factory QC rejects? I imagine they'd never get boxed if that was the case.

Maybe someone went all "Here lemme show ya how bad ass these are. Snap!"

I have no idea how much force needs to be exerted to snap xmetal frames, but that has to be one of the weakest points of the entire thing.

The orbital was the other weak point I was thinking about.

10. kronin323

It's happened a number of times; x-metals breaking, usually at the flex couple tab; seems to be a weak point.

They're dang hardy but anybody who thinks they're literally indestructible is fooling themselves... Nothing's indestructible, including us...:oops: