• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Broken T6 Screw

You might consider trying a mill-end type screw extractor, if you can find one small enough. With those you don't need to drill into the screw, just apply sufficient force for the counter-clockwise oriented blades to get a bite. In that case, I'd probably grab a chunk of thick leather for a cushion and put the Pennys in a vise in order to concentrate on aiming, applying pressure, and twisting the extractor. Theoretically, you could grind down a slightly-too-large extractor to fit, but there you're getting into a lot of work without proper equipment, like a lathe :p

Example of this type of extractor

Note that if the screw has been made concave, that might actually make it a little easier to apply sufficient PSI. Might.

Oh, in addition to the mill-end extractor possibility, there is also the JB Weld method (JB Weld an extension, like a small nut, to the screw). I mention this only for completeness, as I personally don't think you could get enough of a bond on such a small surface to effect a removal. Still, options are good. I wouldn't give up until the issue was resolved without altering the frames (or the whole works had been cast into the sun in frustration, as the case may be). Good luck!

Thanks Liohr, I will consider. At some point I'm going to show you a work shop I have access to, and it proved to be useless. So I have pretty much accepted it as such,but I thank everyone for taking time to offer great advice.

It's all good. The frames still hold the lenses in quite nicely. Do I think the frame secures the lens enough for plutonites outstanding eye protection that surpasses (ANSI Z87.1)? No, but they are still pennies and arguable the best sunglasses line ever made. Thanks again to everyone for the advice given for my situation. I think I just need to buy a few more pennies to help heal the wound

I've successfully used the grabit micro extractor on stripped-head screws in the past but with the broken-off head you've got they might not be "micro" enough...

Back