• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Building My Own Hard Case

C.Wied

Oakley Expert
Hey y'all. In leu of getting some Madmans I decided I could build my own hard case based off the X-Metal case design. Not perfect as I've never done a project like this, but I think it came out pretty cool! Let me know what y'all think!

B2220465-0F15-44C0-A831-54D891462357_zps1gtl2jdn.jpg

808B1335-6092-4565-B46D-B47432AEFCF0_zps7qxe1tyv.jpg

That looks awesome! But you'll definitely need foam on this one as those formed heads from the rivets are sticking out too much. Did you use a hinge on this one as well? How does it snap together? Because I don't see locking tabs. Awesome job!!! :drinks:

That looks awesome! But you'll definitely need foam on this one as those formed heads from the rivets are sticking out too much. Did you use a hinge on this one as well? How does it snap together? Because I don't see locking tabs. Awesome job!!! :drinks:

Hey thanks!!! I'm trying to find some hinges like the ones in the Oakley hard case but haven't had any luck. :sorry:

I've also got some nice foam that I'll cut out to fit my Madmans and they'll always be in the bag to prevent lense scuffing. Just gotta find the right hinges and engrave the plaques on the top and bottom!

Jewelry box hinges with self locking springs should work :)

10-Pieces-Steel-Small-Automatic-Closed-Jewelry-Box-Hinge-Spring-Loaded-Hinge-24mm.jpg

images.jpg

Hey y'all. In leu of getting some Madmans I decided I could build my own hard case based off the X-Metal case design. Not perfect as I've never done a project like this, but I think it came out pretty cool! Let me know what y'all think!

B2220465-0F15-44C0-A831-54D891462357_zps1gtl2jdn.jpg

808B1335-6092-4565-B46D-B47432AEFCF0_zps7qxe1tyv.jpg
Looks pretty good. Just like the guys said.....some finishing touches and you're good.

that looks great! maybe not so many rivets next time, tho?

that looks great! maybe not so many rivets next time, tho?

I thought it looked cool. The Oakley box had the dimpled fake rivets and I wanted them to be real. It may be a bit excessive but from the outside I think it gives the case a rugged industrial look.

Back