1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. C.Wied

C.Wied Oakley Enthusiast

Hey y'all. In leu of getting some Madmans I decided I could build my own hard case based off the X-Metal case design. Not perfect as I've never done a project like this, but I think it came out pretty cool! Let me know what y'all think!

Building My Own Hard Case - B2220465-0F15-44C0-A831-54D891462357_zps1gtl2jdn.jpg

Building My Own Hard Case - 808B1335-6092-4565-B46D-B47432AEFCF0_zps7qxe1tyv.jpg

SecretNinja, lazafari, Cargo and 2 others like this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

That looks awesome! But you'll definitely need foam on this one as those formed heads from the rivets are sticking out too much. Did you use a hinge on this one as well? How does it snap together? Because I don't see locking tabs. Awesome job!!! :drinks:

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  3. C.Wied

C.Wied Oakley Enthusiast

Hey thanks!!! I'm trying to find some hinges like the ones in the Oakley hard case but haven't had any luck. :sorry:

I've also got some nice foam that I'll cut out to fit my Madmans and they'll always be in the bag to prevent lense scuffing. Just gotta find the right hinges and engrave the plaques on the top and bottom!

4. Dennis Panlilio

Dennis Panlilio Oakley Expert Premium Member

Jewelry box hinges with self locking springs should work :)

Building My Own Hard Case - 10-Pieces-Steel-Small-Automatic-Closed-Jewelry-Box-Hinge-Spring-Loaded-Hinge-24mm.jpg

Building My Own Hard Case - images.jpg

5. C.Wied

C.Wied Oakley Enthusiast

My man! Thank you!

6. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Looks pretty good. Just like the guys said.....some finishing touches and you're good.

7. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

Nice! Something I've always wanted to try

8. mjt42

mjt42 Oakley Expert Premium Member

that looks great! maybe not so many rivets next time, tho?

9. C.Wied

C.Wied Oakley Enthusiast

I thought it looked cool. The Oakley box had the dimpled fake rivets and I wanted them to be real. It may be a bit excessive but from the outside I think it gives the case a rugged industrial look.

mjt42 likes this.
  10. If you could add a filter a turntable some lights a 10 disk CD changer and a goldfish you'd make a killing selling those!