• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Built A New Sunglasses Stand

So I was running out of room and how I want to store my glasses. I like keeping the X-Metals open. I figure the less they are opened and closed, the longer life I will get out of the flex coupler.
I had tinkered with many different ideas using acrylic. Everything I came up with, looked like I would have bought it at the dollar store. Needless to say, it's not going inside my case if it looks like crap.
I saw my reflection in a copper pan at home and an idea was sprung. Copper tubing?

Last night I headed over to the local Home Despot. I took a look at the copper tubing and a 10' stick was $10. I grabbed four elbows, two "T" fittings, two cap ends and two stub ends. Home Despot made off with about $25 of my money, not too bad I suppose.

This is what I ended up with plus the 10' stick.

IMG_0355_zps1c21bcf2.jpg

I break out a bottle of alcohol and start removing the damn UPC stickers. Once the stickers and glue is gone, I take out the can of Brasso and polish everything to a bright shine.

IMG_0357_zpsc1ae732d.jpg

Now I start measuring and cutting the tubing. Everything starts to fit together nicely. I start sweating (soldering) the pipes together. I get half way through and realize it's bedtime. Damnit. I let the pipes cool and clean up the kitchen. This is where I left off.

IMG_0359_zps1bdb9808.jpg

Fast forward to after work today. I put together a vanity set for my wife and eagerly await her departure for work. She's not too keen on me tinkering with stinky chemicals and torches in the kitchen.
Now that I have the house to myself, I start sweating the last of the pipes together. They look like crap when I am finished. The torch has a tendency to oxidize copper very quickly. Out comes the trusty can o' Brasso again. Ten minutes later it is done. It would be really fitting if I had some copper Penny's to display on this... None the less, this is what I created.

I would really love some honest feedback. If you think it looks like crap, please tell me. I don't want to display trash in my case. If you like it, that is great too and I'd be glad to hear it.

Here are the pics of the completed project:

IMG_0364_zps09529347.jpg

IMG_0366_zps5d58bead.jpg

IMG_0369_zps15fdb699.jpg

Qtrain,
I'm not too worried about corrosion. It will oxidize in time, but that will take a while. It's easy enough to polish a couple times a year. I don't want to paint it because I like the copper look. I am worried that clear lacquer would cause uneven oxidization and I wouldn't be able to polish it away. I did consider salt and bleach to cause it patina green, but that wouldn't fit well in the case.
Nice, very clean looking, copper is perfect! It goes with the mindset of what was going on at the time the X-metal line was designed, out of the box thinking. A copper Penny would be the cherry on the tree eventually.

That's about the coolest comment I will ever receive. Thank you.

Latest Posts

Back