• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bunker Happy ... mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I tracked down the only two in Austin, I could not wait for a few days for it to become convenient for me to pick them up - they wouldn't hold them or sell them over the phone. Instead I would have to immediately drive clear across town and back in stormy weather.

Though I only wanted one, I considered getting both, hanging onto the other for a year, then maybe selling it for the FMV at that time (as opposed to trying to immediately flip it at an inflated price).

But then I had another idea - I txted another forum member, got a commitment to repay, then went and picked them both up. Met him the next week; my cost was also $162.38 but he didn't have the extra chump-change $2.38 handy so I was fine with accepting $160.

I've thought once or twice since then about what if I had kept them both, but overall I'm happy with how things went.

I'm not looking for kudos for altruism. And I don't have any problem with adding reasonable T&M and still considering it doing an "altruistic" favor; I probably would have done so myself in different circumstances. The key difference:

- I sought out a specific forum member that I've hung out with in person before and volunteered to do the favor before picking it up. Had I picked up the extra with no commitment and then offered it just first-come-first-served to anybody, adding T&M + shipping would have been reasonable.

Heck, if I used the same rate my employers charge their customers for my time, the thing would have been at ebay scalping prices anyway... :D

As has been pointed out, though they may be hard to find, they're still for sale at retail price at stores. If you're CONUS, all you have to do is put in the time and effort to find one yourself. With the associated costs...

oh no, you should have shaken A-train down for the remainder!

j/k

David

Carabiners aren't sold out.....yet. ;)
I got the two that was sold at my store. But due to the unfortunate events that happened (on the way there, my dog had to go and he went on some poison ivy and got it all over himself) Im going to have to charge $700 a piece to cover expenses I took on to get those. (once again- SARCASM)

The crazy part is that it is in the rules to not do exactly what is going on

8) No Scalping - If you are buying the new products coming out at this time, waiting until they are sold out, and simply attempting to SCALP other members on this forum, that behavior will NOT BE TOLERATED on the forum. If you are doing this, please STOP! It is wrong to simply buy limited edition items, to sell them for profit after they are sold out. If we see this behavior we will contact you and ask you to stop. If this behavior continues, you may be banned.

Read more: Please Read Before Posting In The X Metal Exchange Section | Oakley Forum

But the rules it seems are not being enforced, as such, they aren't really rules. There is no point in complaining about the practice as it is clearly tolerated.

The problem is, however clearly that rule may be stated, interpreting it is not black and white. Scalping has been a hot topic a number of times.

Many of you may have seen this already but OakleyBoss recently explained the reasoning behind the rule and its enforcement in reply to a post I made on the subject.

Here's my post:
Golden Rule #8 | Page 3 | Oakley Forum

And OakleyBoss' reply:
Golden Rule #8 | Page 3 | Oakley Forum

Then there is the very last line of the exchange rules, which reads:

"If you sell some stuff and this is like a revenue stream, why not give back and become a Premium Member or Forum Sponsor?"

Which obviously implies it's okay to make a profit on your sales; it's not automatically scalping. There's just a lot of personal interpretation on where the line is drawn and that keeps causing friction.

You know it's funny cause you are one that always seems to call people out. You don't know anything about how or what I did to get these. As I said I did help members out. They know who they are.

It also is disrespectful to do it out in the open Forum. You are who you are and you have to live with that. I personally would not do it. I manage people at my job and if I have a problem with someone I call them into my office and not do it in front of others.

You are right, I should have messaged you instead of pointing you out. I apologize it was unprofessional and the bottle openers I agree is way over priced here

Everybody is like talking about the bunkers how about the biners? Those are sold out as well and limiteds in quantity i think in the long run those will fetch more than the bunkers IMO. Its just that theyre 300 bucks qnd pricet thqt 2hy nobodys paying attention to them..[/QUOTE
I know of like 3 stores with the caribiners still, those don't seem to have the same attraction the bunkers do.

Hey, if you read my previous posts regarding your listings specifically, they are largely in support of your deeds, not against.

You make an excellent point about the premiums of ALL X-metals in general. If this were truly a "community", all X-metals "should" be passed along to fellow members at the exact cost basis of the seller correct? That would be a great world to live in :)

The problem (and difference to an extent) with X-metals is those are long gone (discontinued). Most members (myself especially) got into the game WAAAAAY late and bought their pieces at a "fair price", but still a premium above true retail. So if/when it comes time to sell for whatever reason, any reasonable person would like to recoup what they put in.

However, the aforementioned RARELY happens from my observations on the forum. I really doubt most of the X-metals moved in the exchange were truly moved at original cost basis. EVERY seller (myself included) will sell the pieces (depending on rarity) based off of FMV...which is usually more or less the passed on savings from the ebay/paypal fees.

Anyone who denies this is full of it. But hey, sure, there are some exceptions in which people did truly move them at cost or even took a hit, but that rarely happens and I'll call it as that.

Back to my point, the bunkers are STILL available in stores, albeit very difficult to obtain because they get snatched up quickly. So generally marking up a premium on the forum for these bunkers just isn't a cool thing to do.

David
Agreed this is a never ending debate we are all scalpers in a sense as you said if nobody is all xmetals on this should be sold at their retail cost we all know that never happends here. What is FMA is everyones guess you saw that ichiro carbon sold for 2000 is that means that its FMA?? no right so there you go if somebody can make a dough or profit why not unfortunately thats the mentality and to the thought that we look at FMA at what solds on ebay so i guess if a bunker sold for 450 on ebay and you dont want to be tagged as a scalper i guess sell em there not here as i said its a never ending debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back