• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying A Camera For My Wife...what Should I Get?

Mate i don't need to go far my neighbour is a photographer! lol just to lazy to asking him for a lesson i did ask him before but just never got round to sorting it out.

I recently ventured into the DSLR world also. I shoot a Sony Alpha 55. The reason I chose the Sony over Canon or Nikon or something else, was because of the features Sony provided for the money. Sony has a technology called "translucent mirror", which basically allows faster, continuous auto focus without having to wait for the mirror to flip up and down, as in a conventional DSLR. The translucent mirror stays in a fixed position and is exactly as titled...translucent, so light is allowed to pass through the mirror, instead of the mirror having to move up to allow light to pass through (google Sony a55). I honestly didn't know squat about SLR or DSLR's before this, but I did a fair amount of homework online and am still learning hands on. I eventually would like to take some classes, but that's down the line. Anyway, getting back to the subject...since your wife's a beginner in the DSLR realm, Sony, Canon and Nikon all have entry level cameras that will be more than satisfactory and within our price range. Shop around, now's a good time since it's the holiday season and price deals are happening everywhere. It'll take some time to learn how to properly use all the functions and features, but once you start churning out good photos, it can be addicting. I'm already thinking of upgrading my gear to the new Sony a77. Good luck and have fun with it!!!

So since I just found this thread I thought I would see if you needed more input. If your wife wants something in between this Sony is pretty simple to use and takes pretty good pictures. My sister has it and he I turns that she has taken have come put pretty good. The only flaw I have seen on this camera is its battery life. It takes a lot of power and unfortunately can't take an extended battery so you have to carry two I'd you want to take a lot of pictures.

Here is the link to the camera on best buys site. Sony - Cyber-shot 16.2-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - DSCHX100V/B

Back