• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying Items For Trade Bait

Thanks for all the input. I was just looking in the exchange section to compare prices and is have to say I got a pretty decent deal. Thanks again

I don't see a problem with it when it comes to trading honestly. It makes no difference how much I paid for an item when it comes time to sell or trade, ex would be if I were to trade my 24k XX's I sure wouldn't trade them for a pair of MD's which go for about the same as I paid for my XX's. However, I am against people gouging on prices because they think it is worth so much over retail, ie Ebay... 99% of Oakley stuff on Ebay has inflated to a point that they aren't selling but people think the Ebay price is the value of these items...

The good thing is, for the most part this forum is pretty good about weeding out the gouging and overpriced stuff like Q said, if it is too high it just won't move...

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", "A fool and his money are soon parted" or if you're really old school, "Caveat Emptor".
I could go on and on with these idioms but there is a reason that they are still around and that reason is that they are constants.
A member here walked into a shop off the beaten track and found a bazillion Copper Pennies. They did not offer them for sale at purchase price, they parlayed them wisely.
I traded a 24K Juliet for one and I am comfortable with that trade. I knew what I had in the 24K's and made a value decision for myself- a value decision that I am still comfortable with.
Now I have a 24K and a Copper Penny instead of 2 24K's. I would rather have a Copper and a 24K in my collection than a 24K in my collection and a "double" in the safe.
There is labor expense generally as well as the cost of money and bandwidth consumed. These expenses and compensation thereof are decisions that can be made only by the principals and not by observers.
This whole thing takes place in a vacuum (and in this situation a very public vacuum) but there are only 2 parties in that vacuum, the seller and buyer.
If I understand the OP's question correctly it was "is it OK to buy stuff for trade bait?".
Of course. We can buy whatever we desire, place on it whatever value we wish and do with it what we will.

I believe if you buy something for trade bait and find someone who is selling an item you really want but they will only take cash you cannot get upset about that. Buy whatever bait you want and trade with whoever is willing to trade.

It's common practice in professional sports management, although it'll come in the more forward form of 3/4/5-way trade to make for a more simpler process.

Baiting like this isn't like blackmail or a hostage situation. Perhaps manipulative but you're likely not screwing someone over.

I always keep an eye out for stuff like Matt Kenseth splice, which I have absolutely no interest in or would pay any high amount of money for, for my personal collection. Only because I am primarily an x metal collector. But I do know that particular item is in high demand and I would pay good money for it because I could trade it for something that I want that a particular collector wouldn't sell normally but would trade for the right item. I think it's perfectly fine to buy something just to trade, as long as you're not trying to screw over your fellow collector and the O fam.

I have bought entire collections with the intent of keeping maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of it and fully expecting to trade the others away... What I or the other party paid in the deal means nothing, if your getting what you want in return why would you care if he paid $10 or $1000 for it... You got what you wanted for your item and he got what he wanted for his... I have delt with a few people that have asked what I paid for my trade, I am always honest but in the back of my mind I am wondering what it matters and if the person was to say they paid more or less for theirs wouldnt effect me proceeding with the deal...

Its like purchasing, its what the personal value is to you that you will pay...

If I was to buy a Romeo for $10 off Craigs list am I obligated to sell it for less than $60 so I am not gouging someone?!?!?! Nooo... Am I going to trade it for a three tier stand so that I am not taking advantage?!?!?! Nooo... Its always a double edge sword when doing deals with other collectors, you ask $50 too much and your a scalper, you ask $100 too little and you get 25 emails ready to buy and not one mention that your asking too little...lol...

Bottom line dude is that you have to educate yourself on current market values, take a deal that makes you happy, dont pass on something that you think a multitude of others will want if its at a good price and always remember that if your overpriced on your exectations your item will just get passed over and your stuck with something you didnt want to begin with...

Latest Posts

Back