• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Call Me Crazy... Iridium Lenses Have More Glare??

FirstPair

Oakley Beginner
OK... I was at an Oakley store today, and my findings shocked even the salesmen to the point they wanted to talk to their managers.

I discovered that when looking towards light (ie. the forward direction with the sun facing you, but not looking up towards the sun... just forward like you're walking), mirrored/iridium lenses have MORE glare than non-mirrored/non-iridium lenses.

When outdoors, you may see streaks of light on the mirrored lenses. When indoors and looking at a light source, you may see little streaks coming out of the light. The weirdest part is, none of this happens with non-mirrored lenses.

Am I nuts, or are you guys getting this too? To test, you need one of each pair of shades; let me know!!

i thought it was just me. i noticed that from a pair i have that are polarized. my other non iridium non polarized have less glare. i actually prefer oakley's standard non iridium / polarized HDO lenses.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This was a little disappointing seeing as I was totally pumped on getting my first pair of kick-ass glasses... I wonder if I'm missing something here. Like, is this supposed to be some drawback to having extreme protection? Very curious; I'd like the input of a seasoned wearer or a professional, too.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This was a little disappointing seeing as I was totally pumped on getting my first pair of kick-ass glasses... I wonder if I'm missing something here. Like, is this supposed to be some drawback to having extreme protection? Very curious; I'd like the input of a seasoned wearer or a professional, too.

Well you will be getting as you said kick-ass glasses anyway IMO. Because the lenses either with or without iridium coating are very good. I have yet to encounter a sunglass brand that tops the lenses of Oakley.

About protection. When it comes to UV protection all polycarbonate(plutonite in the case of Oakley) lenses block 100% of UV rays. This includes the very cheap drugstore glasses.

That said. To me it seems that iridium helps to cut down glare. I notice this especially when light reflects of to hood of a car for example.

I would find it very interesting how others experience this please share your experience.

Had the same problem. Turned out the problem was the gloss black frames. switched to matte black frames and solved the problem.

Back