• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Calling All Electronic Geeks/gurus

lawman0210

Oakley Expert
I bought a solar powered display stand that also has a 4 led light system which is powered by a AA battery. I asked the seller if I
3y4yzuze.jpg
ena9ybyz.jpg
uzu7ebud.jpg
installed a rechargeable battery in it woukd the solar panels charge the battery which powers the led. He said no that the the unit does not have a charging circuit. That would have made them perfect lights. So I was thinking I have 2 small solar garden lights they both use a rechargeable battery so they much have the system in need and it appears it will fit inside the display. Can anyone help me with this

You'd need to make sure that the solar cell on the display you bought is capable of putting out enough voltage to power the display and to charge the battery. My guess would be that because it was purpose built wouldn't have enough output to run both the display and charge the battery without some kind of cell upgrade, leaving you with a useless display and a dead battery.

It appears that the rotating display takes a AA battery which is 1.5 volts, and the solar cell takes an unk rechargeable cell battery as it can't be seen in the pic. The issue is whether the solar cell has the right amount of charging capacity to charge a battery to run the entire project. Getting a battery pack put together is the easy part, but you will need to know the voltage of the led, what output the solar cell has to charge the battery, the current draw on the rotating display, the current draw of the total amount of led's. Even if you get it to charge the battery it wont run for a long period of time and the case lights will need to stay on to continuously charge the cell. They do make rotating stands that are solar powered and the case lights will run it. The solar panel for the cell will need to be metered to find whether it has the output to charge a solar battery that is bigger then what it was designed to charge.

The solar yard light has approx. (1) 2x2 solar panel that is used to recharge (1) 350 mah AA battery. The rotating display I want to reconfigure has 4 small solar panels which has more surface space then the the yard light. The rotating display appears to use the solar panels to power the turn table and the 1.5 volt cell to power the lights. So I guess what I am trying to do is put the circuit board I'm side the rotating display so the solar panels charges the battery and then the battery feeds the turn table and lights. Maybe even just take the guts out of the yard light and mount it in a box and run wires to the battery leads in the rotating light.

The non rechargeable battery only last 4-5 days in the display and it's a pain to replace or turn them on and off

Back