• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Calling All Premium Members: New Feature Ideas?

I decided to revive this thread and make a suggestion that I came up with last night.

The idea has been brought up to remove the censorship of "swear words" from the site, and in general I agree with @OakleyBoss that having it in place is a small buffer to help keep things civil. Having said that, I'm an adult. I think most of us here are. Sometimes I like to say ****. Sometimes I like to tell people to ******* stop saying **** like a ******* idiot. Usually its done in jest with people I'm already familiar enough with to know they'll get the joke and see the humor. Anyway, on to the ******* point.

The option to toggle the swear filter on and off could potentially be a forum perk for premium members. I haven't messed with forum script in a number of years but even in the early days of phpbb and others the censor didn't apply to mods/admins. What showed up as ******* to a member was shown in uncensored form to anyone with a high enough level of clearance to see what was actually said. I'd imagine the same is true now with the software this site runs on. If that's the case, would it be possible to get premium members added to the group that is able to see the uncensored posts? Surely we're already part of a sub-moderator level group since we've got the ability to edit posts indefinitely.

Thoughts?

EDIT: After posting this I opened it up for editing to check something I wasn't sure about. My post in the edit window shows everything I typed, completely uncensored. That tells me that no actual editing of the post takes place, it just flags certain words and replaces them when viewed from the general forum. That supports my theory that mods/admins are able to view the completely unfiltered posts, and that that could probably be extended to other member groups fairly easily. The only scripting that might have to be done is adding in the option to turn the filter on or off in the preferences menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the swear filter as part of this being a "family friendly" forum, I've wondered if the "family friendly" mandate is strictly arbitrary from the owner(s) of the forum, or is part of some larger requirement from whatever datacenter that's hosting the forum's servers, i.e. Boss has to be able to show some effort is made / rules in place to make this forum "family friendly", to comply with contract terms. IDK...

With the swear filter as part of this being a "family friendly" forum, I've wondered if the "family friendly" mandate is strictly arbitrary from the owner(s) of the forum, or is part of some larger requirement from whatever datacenter that's hosting the forum's servers, i.e. Boss has to be able to show some effort is made / rules in place to make this forum "family friendly", to comply with contract terms. IDK...
Ya know.....damn....I ******* forgot what I was gonna say now. :p

We could always make it an "adults only" site. ;)

Back