• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Came across this on the internet

I haven't seen that, will have a search, I kind of knew that heat had a similar effect to anodizing but without the control. All down to playing with the oxide layer.

What I did not know is how it would affect the alloy. InfiniteHero explained to me that the alloy does not react exactly like pure titanium does.

Start here...
Burned Juliets | Page 8 | Oakley Forum

...and keep going; there's more pics of the final product later, and then with lenses...

You and I talked about that possibility briefly a long time ago ;)

The question still remains though, where were xmetals actually built? People ending up with crates of "lost" Mars makes it sound like it was something away from the eyes at HQ, probably handled in a way that HQ couldn't really track them until they were shipped to stores.

While I was typing the above reply @kronin323 added some more information. That still isn't definitive though. Wherever it all happened is where the Nazi gold train might be, not in this building.

Most of the "lost" Mars were returns and I believe they were in a distribution warehouse. The Mars was a failure in sales, nobody wanted them so they ended up returned to Oakley. Remember Oakley was selling these for $50 at their parking lot sales and they still had trouble getting rid of them.

The scuttlebutt is that it was located in Nevada in the first place because the regs weren't as tough as in Cali, but then Nevada changed them to be equally tough, and it cost too much to move it. That hasn't been verified; it could have just been simple cost cutting on the part of Lux.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I seriously doubt the reason for shutdown was due to the cost barrier of moving the plant. If they wanted to, all they need is a manufacturing contract with a Ti foundry and just ship the molds across to Asia Pacific where most of that stuff is made for a fraction of the cost. It all comes down to simple business decision of rationalization and consolidation as expected from big corporate takeovers.

That plant and design concept of x-metal was exclusive Oakley use only and Raybans won't use it nor would other brands within Lux. Why cast a chunky Ti frame for a niche market when you can make cheaper wire frames using Ti plates or rods for a substantial reduction in production costs that has a broader market appeal?

I seriously doubt the reason for shutdown was due to the cost barrier of moving the plant. If they wanted to, all they need is a manufacturing contract with a Ti foundry and just ship the molds across to Asia Pacific where most of that stuff is made for a fraction of the cost. It all comes down to simple business decision of rationalization and consolidation as expected from big corporate takeovers.

That plant and design concept of x-metal was exclusive Oakley use only and Raybans won't use it nor would other brands within Lux. Why cast a chunky Ti frame for a niche market when you can make cheaper wire frames using Ti plates or rods for a substantial reduction in production costs that has a broader market appeal?

Exactly no one else would use them. Which is why we love the. How many guys are buying used juliets instead of the badman or madman? Other than flaks and radars I mostly wear my Romeos and juliets.

Exactly no one else would use them. Which is why we love the. How many guys are buying used juliets instead of the badman or madman? Other than flaks and radars I mostly wear my Romeos and juliets.
With you! I mainly wear Juliets and X Squared. On occasions I wear my Wiretap (new version, reminiscent of X-Metal) and Flak Jacket (mainly stuff where it would not be a great loss if something happened to them).

Regarding the foundry and X-Metal in general, if there was a will there would be a way!

Wire frames are great (sporting my Rx Transistor), but do not have that rugged yet curvaceous appeal that X-Metals have.

I sometimes wonder if there's remnants of the X metals laying around in there.

On the listing, if you keep scrolling to the right through the pics you get to a number of them showing the inside of the space. Looks pretty clean....

But if there's any office space there finished out with suspended ceilings, that'd be where I'd look - people hide all sorts of **** in suspended ceilings... ;)

Back