• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can Anyone Explain The Male Earring Trend To Me Lately? The Big Round Ugly Ones?

Actually the hole will eventually shrink back to its initial state. My cousin had them. Those are just overstretched skin.

Assuming you are young enough that your skin still has the elasticity to bounce back.

These fashionable accessories are called "gauges," and come in a variety of sizes, expressed as zeros.

I've never really liked them to begin with...even 20 years ago when they were being done. Don't like them on me but anyone who wants to get them it's all good for them if they like it. ;)

It's actually referred to as stretching and depending on the way that the person did it and at what size they stopped determines whether it will shrink or not.
Gauge refers to the actual thickness of the piece of jewelry.. An 18 gauge is a typical ear piercing, and the smaller the number, the larger the diameter of the jewelry.
At a certain point, your skin loses the ability to shrink back over time and if people want their regular lobes back, they typically need to be cut with a scalpel and sewn back together. This is also the case for people who rush going from one size to the next.
It was never my thing , but I just know alot about body mods. The worst part of stretching your ears is that your ear lobes smell awful

A few people can pull it off, most can't.

FWIW, your ear lobe returning to normal only happens with very small gauges. Otherwise they will have to pay a doctor to cut and sew your ear lobe back together should they ever change their minds.

A confusing trend to be sure. In order to decide to head down that path you would have to first arrive at "I want to reduce my employment options, I want to limit my earning potential, I don't want to be taken seriously and I don't want a job where I'm the face of an organization or work directly with people". You can get away with gauging if you are ridiculously talented and have a skill set that takes people past the cover and into the pages. I see lots of gauges at the first window at the drive-thru...
Then you put one of those bumper stickers on your car that say "Coexist" which really means "I'm going to make some baffling driving decisions, probably go really slow in the fast lane and change lanes without signaling but I expect for you to overlook my shortcomings/ transgressions and accept me as I am".

Latest Posts

Back