• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can these be helped? Mag m frame

12second12

Oakley Beginner
I've owned these over a dozen years, and truly enjoyed them.
They got wore, and were never a shelf queen.
It's pretty obvious the finish is a joke, and didn't hold up very well, but the mag frames are tough. Lenses have incredible coverage. They probably are still my favorites for that reason.
Looking for a recommendation on someone willing to refinish these.
117A9852-33CB-431A-B204-387A19D3E6DA_zpsvxomkhta.jpg

May I ask what that is? Some kind of coating? Paint? Obviously that's the magnesium under that ugliness.
not sure exactly what their coating consisted of, just now it is notorious for doing that over time.

not sure exactly what their coating consisted of, just now it is notorious for doing that over time.
It's got a almost epoxy feel about it.
I have new ear stems, and nose rubbers.
It's just the frames, it's a shame!
Hinges still feel nice and tight.
009E03F1-11F5-48AE-A032-28CEAD7755A5_zpsevrz9klw.jpg
F530BB8B-02F9-4CD3-A071-9990B0525F31_zpsacs4x75g.jpg

Find a local powdercoater and get them coated. I have a buddy who has a little personal bike shop, in his spare time he does work on our motorcycles and powdercoats parts for us. I had a Blade II watch in stealth black with the metal bracelet that I hated, it was heavy as hell and glossy as ****, I was always wiping the damn thing, imagine something with the gloss of iridium lenses on your wrist...

I wore it a few times but mostly it just sat in the box, I really wanted the rubber strap version in matte black, of course they were discontinued by then. While hanging out at his shop one day got the idea of taking it apart and having it coated, he said he could do it as long I took it apart and there was nothing on it that would melt. Pretty excited I took the watch to local watchmaker (a proper one, trained in Europe old school style) he easily took it apart and handed me the case and the crown. I took them to get coated and ordered a replacement strap which they still luckily had at the time and replacement dial. I got the carbon fiber one which never came in the matte black rubber strap version so its a true custom watch I've got here...

When it was all done I took it back to the watchmaker who put it all together again. Cost me $12 for the strap and $7 for dial from Oakley, $50 for the watchmaker. Not bad for completely transforming an unused watch I got for free and making it an everyday wearer. This is how it turned out...

Before (random image but exact same)
attachment.php?attachmentid=48321&d=1275759471.jpg

Now (my actual watch)

20150526_165150_zps8jyiwhyn.jpg

Back