1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. 12second12

12second12 Oakley Beginner

I've owned these over a dozen years, and truly enjoyed them.
    They got wore, and were never a shelf queen.
    It's pretty obvious the finish is a joke, and didn't hold up very well, but the mag frames are tough. Lenses have incredible coverage. They probably are still my favorites for that reason.
    Looking for a recommendation on someone willing to refinish these.
    Can these be helped? Mag m frame - 117A9852-33CB-431A-B204-387A19D3E6DA_zpsvxomkhta.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. TexxxZ

TexxxZ Big bearded baby

Personally i'd be making a Doctors appointment ... Calling @dr.chop Drchop to surgery

3. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

I have refinished mag m frames and switches before... no sweat.

4. 12second12

May I ask what that is? Some kind of coating? Paint? Obviously that's the magnesium under that ugliness.

5. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Sand and polish that thing!

6. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Very bad plan with the Mg frames.

dr.chop and qtrain23 like this.
  7. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

not sure exactly what their coating consisted of, just now it is notorious for doing that over time.

8. 12second12

It's got a almost epoxy feel about it.
    I have new ear stems, and nose rubbers.
    It's just the frames, it's a shame!
    Hinges still feel nice and tight.
    Can these be helped? Mag m frame - 009E03F1-11F5-48AE-A032-28CEAD7755A5_zpsevrz9klw.jpg
    Can these be helped? Mag m frame - F530BB8B-02F9-4CD3-A071-9990B0525F31_zpsacs4x75g.jpg

9. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

What would happen?

10. LoneRonin

LoneRonin Oakley Beginner

Find a local powdercoater and get them coated. I have a buddy who has a little personal bike shop, in his spare time he does work on our motorcycles and powdercoats parts for us. I had a Blade II watch in stealth black with the metal bracelet that I hated, it was heavy as hell and glossy as ****, I was always wiping the damn thing, imagine something with the gloss of iridium lenses on your wrist...

I wore it a few times but mostly it just sat in the box, I really wanted the rubber strap version in matte black, of course they were discontinued by then. While hanging out at his shop one day got the idea of taking it apart and having it coated, he said he could do it as long I took it apart and there was nothing on it that would melt. Pretty excited I took the watch to local watchmaker (a proper one, trained in Europe old school style) he easily took it apart and handed me the case and the crown. I took them to get coated and ordered a replacement strap which they still luckily had at the time and replacement dial. I got the carbon fiber one which never came in the matte black rubber strap version so its a true custom watch I've got here...

When it was all done I took it back to the watchmaker who put it all together again. Cost me $12 for the strap and $7 for dial from Oakley, $50 for the watchmaker. Not bad for completely transforming an unused watch I got for free and making it an everyday wearer. This is how it turned out...

Before (random image but exact same)
    Can these be helped? Mag m frame - attachment.php?attachmentid=48321&d=1275759471.jpg

Now (my actual watch)

Can these be helped? Mag m frame - 20150526_165150_zps8jyiwhyn.jpg