• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can you suggest a lighter than Black Iridium Polarized Lense?

GerGa

Oakley Beginner
Hi,
I have had Oakley Fives black sunglasses with Black Iridium Polarized lenses for years and they are on their last leg. I tried on and like the Flak Jacket XLJ. I want to get black frames with a polarized lense a little less dark than black iridium polarized.
My Fives with black iridium polarized lenses have served me well, I mostly drive and do road running with them. I also fish a bit. They were always seeming too dark most of the time which was annoying. They almost seem to dull out colors as well. I like that they protect well - but they are a bit too dark.

Can you recommend a polarized lense that is a little bit lighter? I prefer my eyes not seen behind my glasses, but as I read about different Oakley tints, there are so many so I might compromise for the right one.

Thanks

Last edited:
Its nice to have an alternative to BIP because I agree the colors are dull and its so dark when I'm driving through a forest that I have to take them off.

Try the various contrast lenses such as VR28 black iridium, 24k, titanium iridium, tungsten and ice. They are all practical as opposed to Ruby iridium which gives up some clarity for looking flashy.

Best glare protection second to BIP is VR28 I believe.

Though I love my VR28BIPs, they are the same 10% transmissivity as BIP.
I've have a liking for Tungsten lenses, and both polar and non-polar are 15%.
Straight up VR28 polarized (non-black iridium) is also available for the XLJ at 16%
+ Red polarized are a little lighter at 18%, though the eyes are slightly more visible, if that's a consideration.

I think the Prizm Daily lenses works very well for daily use. I use mine for driving to work in the morning, and driving home in the afternoon. It works for me 90% of the time, except for when it's super bright which I would then use a Black Iridium Polarized pair.

Only issue you might have with Prizm Daily is that other people can see your eyes a bit. I personally am not bothered by this.

You may also like the Prizm H2O lens. They are polarized and clear up colors well. If you would like a shade lighter, chrome iridium lenses are a bit lighter but may seem to dull colors to you.

So, a lot of people are suggesting various contrast tints as an alternative to the neutral BIP. And I like those contrast tints; in fact I'm wearing VR28 BIP today.

But if all you're looking for is a "lighter" tint, try Emerald polarized - they have a grey base like BIP but are lighter at 13% trans as opposed to BIP's 9%...

Back