• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can You Tan Through Clear Crystal Frames?

True0gre

Oakley Beginner
UK
Ummm... as the title says. Wore my fuel cells at a day at the Open and have a ridiculous tan line now! So would/do you tan through clear crystal frame?

BUT then again, i stand corrected:
This is a really important issue for anyone sitting in direct sunlight that comes through a window.Normal glass blocks all of UVB but allows UVA to come through. Both of these rays are harmful. Remember:

UVB

• UVB is considered the main sunburn ray
  • It causes skin cancer and sun damage
  • The SPF in a sunscreen tells you how well the product protects you from UVB
UVA

• Is the UV ray in tanning beds
  • It penetrates the skin more deeply than UVB playing a big role in sun damage including wrinkles
  • It can cause skin cancer

BUT then again, i stand corrected:
This is a really important issue for anyone sitting in direct sunlight that comes through a window.Normal glass blocks all of UVB but allows UVA to come through. Both of these rays are harmful. Remember:

UVB

• UVB is considered the main sunburn ray
  • It causes skin cancer and sun damage
  • The SPF in a sunscreen tells you how well the product protects you from UVB
UVA

• Is the UV ray in tanning beds
  • It penetrates the skin more deeply than UVB playing a big role in sun damage including wrinkles
  • It can cause skin cancer
Was gonna say, don't like the look of crystal frames but need some all day wearers! I have pale skin and look ridiculous now!

I have crystal frames for my Batwolfs, but quit wearing them because they look kind of douchey. Will you tan through them? No, probably not. If you want an even tan you're going to have to suffer without sunglasses. Or else get something that has a minimal wire frame and allows UV to come in through the sides (something like an aviator style or Frogskins). Wraparounds always cause stupid tan lines.

But you know what? I don't care about tan lines. Trust me, having stupid tan lines around your eyes is MUCH better than getting skin cancer on your eyelid down the road. I'm pale and freckly myself, and I always wear sunglasses outside during the daytime if it's sunny. My eyes haven't seen direct bright sunshine UV for more than a minute or two in the last 15 years.

Back