• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can You Trust Ebay Users On Selling X-metals?

Eon

Oakley Beginner
okay so i have been searching a lot for some x-metals for sale... and most of it are on ebay... so maybe i could get some opinion on some experts here... how can i trust an ebay seller? and how can i assure he is being honest on his item? like scratch free lense, in very mint condition blah blah blah... all answers would be very appreciated! thanks guys!

one give away is that when you request for better quality pics and the seller is happy to oblige, that is a maybe 95% chance that he is legit. one the other hand, it would not hurt that you know how to look at the frames and tell-tale signs of a fake (outward bent ear stem tips, no orbital gaskets, finish of the frame not quite ok, etc.). but as far as scratches go, based on personal experience anyway, it is a hit or miss. "good condition" may mean anywhere from totally trashed to totally mint. do your part and ask them to be as specific as possible and to try and take pics of the lenses held up to a light source, with the frame and lens being focused on (the background should be blurry). you can clearly see any scratches, dirt, swirls or whatever else....good luck on your hunt bro.

one give away is that when you request for better quality pics and the seller is happy to oblige, that is a maybe 95% chance that he is legit. one the other hand, it would not hurt that you know how to look at the frames and tell-tale signs of a fake (outward bent ear stem tips, no orbital gaskets, finish of the frame not quite ok, etc.). but as far as scratches go, based on personal experience anyway, it is a hit or miss. "good condition" may mean anywhere from totally trashed to totally mint. do your part and ask them to be as specific as possible and to try and take pics of the lenses held up to a light source, with the frame and lens being focused on (the background should be blurry). you can clearly see any scratches, dirt, swirls or whatever else....good luck on your hunt bro.

perfect! thanks sir! yeah i already ask the seller to please send me some new recent photos more closely on the lenses.. and to be more detailed about the condition of the item... still waiting for the reply though.

for me close pics to the lenses on the outside do not show much. scratches can be found on the inside of the lens as well. again, try holding a pair of sunglasses to a light source, you will see most marks clearly. attached is a sample on how i take pics if ever i do sell. this way, the buyer can clearly see at least 95% of the marks on the lenses...like i mentioned, focus on the frame and lens and blurry on the background....
IMG_2818.jpg

Win some lose some. Ask as many questions and hope its not over priced also being complete helps
i would like things to be clear so i ask what i do not see. if i do get a sour deal and see that i did not properly read the description and forgot to ask clarification, i just suck it up. but if i ask and they reply and what arrives is not as described, then that is an entirely different story....

I've had someone tell me mint. Rubbers and lenses trashed and bridge loose as can be. Then had a used ok pair that had a slight scratch, tight bridge, good rubbers and ended up cheaper

As with any purchase online or non face to face transaction this is part of the risk we take. Its really a hit or miss, at the end of the day even if they describe the item as much it can still be not up to your standard imo. Its part of the adventure and satisfaction of buying a good or bad deal.

So far in my experience as long as you do your checks and research most of the time it should turn out great. I always say buy the seller and not the item- caveat emptor.

And this is to hoping that the R1 i got recently of the bay arrive in great condition. xxfingers crossed.

I don't want to put my hopes up high, and I don't want to waste money either... but my feelings is telling me it is legit. kinda confused man... 1 on my thoughts is that why isn't he on this forum?

Not x metal but I just received some radars which were listed as worn twice and excellent condition, one of the lenses was in a poor state with two chips to the iridium coating. Frame was perfect and other lens decent but I'm considering asking for a partial refund!

I did end up buying what I thought was a ducati x squared last year which turned out to be a fake and in terrible condition.

I did get a full refund though and got some awesome juliets from another seller.

I think if they answer all your questions&requests thoroughly that's a good sign.

I think some people have higher standards than others though. I personally would highlight any marks no matter how minor/condition of rubbers etc.

You can always use the item not as described if your not satisfied.

Back