• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can You Trust Ebay Users On Selling X-metals?

oh man... gives me more doubts :(

Not x metal but I just received some radars which were listed as worn twice and excellent condition, one of the lenses was in a poor state with two chips to the iridium coating. Frame was perfect and other lens decent but I'm considering asking for a partial refund!

I did end up buying what I thought was a ducati x squared last year which turned out to be a fake and in terrible condition.

I did get a full refund though and got some awesome juliets from another seller.

I think if they answer all your questions&requests thoroughly that's a good sign.

I think some people have higher standards than others though. I personally would highlight any marks no matter how minor/condition of rubbers etc.

You can always use the item not as described if your not satisfied.

the seller somehow answer all my questions so far... and he is very straight to his answer... gotta check out more from him though... he has a feedback on selling a $625 item... hmm.

oh man... gives me more doubts :(

the seller somehow answer all my questions so far... and he is very straight to his answer... gotta check out more from him though... he has a feedback on selling a $625 item... hmm.

Sorry wasn't trying to give you more doubts! eBay is pretty good at helping you if the item is not as described.

I've had more good experiences than bad but if you have a bad feeling about a seller I'd be careful.

okay so i have been searching a lot for some x-metals for sale... and most of it are on ebay... so maybe i could get some opinion on some experts here... how can i trust an ebay seller? and how can i assure he is being honest on his item? like scratch free lense, in very mint condition blah blah blah... all answers would be very appreciated! thanks guys!

Romeo dude is trusted by me :)

Anyone bought from eBay seller treefrogskin oakley mars crater?

Anyone bought from eBay seller treefrogskin oakley mars crater?
I have bought both normal Mars and Crater Mars from treefrogskin off eBay.

They are either the worlds best fakes, or they are perfect condition genuine Oakley Mars. I believe they are the latter. The only question I have asked myself, and it is probably the same one as you. Where are they getting so many pairs of 'as new' Mars from? There are never any boxes, coins, spare rubbers etc, just the Mars and a bag.

In answer to the more general question. I have bought many X-Metals off eBay, and as mentioned by others, received glasses in various conditions. My standard process is now to ask questions regarding the quality of the hinges, nose bridge, rubbers and lenses. You also need to read between the lines, as often it is not what they describe, as what they do not. If the seller does not mention something, are they hiding something.

My best buys have been from sellers who really don't know what they are selling. I've got two pairs of XX X-Metals that were being sold as Juliet's.

On the other hand, I have asked for, and got partial refunds from 3 sellers for 'excellent' conditions metals, that have nose bridges so loose the arms rattle against each other.

Personally, if they are listed as used I try and account for restoration costs and leave some room for contingency.

If there is no mention of the nose bridge tightness you may not be dealing with someone experienced with X-Metals and may be stuck with a $50+ shipping bill to send the to X-Man to have them tuned up.

For me once the lenses have scratches they almost always need replacement. As someone mentioned you win some and loose some here. Probably more likely to be worse than described than the opposite.

As for rubbers, they're relatively inexpensive and easy enough to obtain. ( For now)

Keep these factors in mind. Most of the time if you end up restoring a pair ( Although its a good feeling) you often end up paying beyond the value in my experience.

I will only buy through forum members....they know the product and have more knowledge than some "mook" on ebay.but thats only as far as x-metals go.i would buy the plastic frames all day long on ebay but only as new in box with tags.people give the o matter oakleys a bad rap but I have always really liked them for there lightness and arcitecture.

I have bought a ton of Oakley gear on eBay over the years, with mostly good experiences. I'm pretty picky when it comes to lenses being scratched, and pictures usually don't show the true state of the lenses unless they were taken looking through the inside of the lens while holding them up to the light from several different angles. Most sellers do not do this, and only take pictures of the outside of the lenses and think that they are in pristine condition because they don't really hold them up to the light to thoroughly inspect them. Now, on some of my purchases the seller claimed BNIB and I received them with small scratches on the lenses. I have always been able to work a partial refund for replacing the lenses or cosmetic issues not described correctly, so sellers will usually work with you if you have an issue in order to make things right. On all of my lens scratch issues, the seller admitted that they just did an outside inspection of the lenses and did not hold them up to the light while looking through from the inside so they didn't see the scratches. They really weren't being dishonest, they just didn't inspect them well enough. Also, you have Buyer Protection on your side in case the seller sells you a fake or packages something up totally different from what you have bought. I have had to make a few claims over the years and every single one has ended in my favor. One guy sold me an Oakley watch and when I opened the box, he had packaged a cheap Wal-Mart watch to try and scam me. I had taken an unboxing video just in case I needed it, but I was never asked to provide proof of any sort when I filed the claim. After eBay couldn't get ahold of the seller, they sided with me and refunded my original payment. I want to hunt people down that do this sort of s**t! What blows me away is that people actually do this sort of thing and just get away with it. My other claims were from items never making it to me and of course those ended in my favor. Also, there are many sellers on eBay selling Oakley gear that aren't members on the forum. I wouldn't question the legitimacy of the seller based off of that. I wouldn't stress too much over it. eBay has been a pretty pleasant experience for me and I started back in 2001.

You should always assume there's gonna be some degree of exaggeration on a used item's condition and set expectations accordingly. If they arrive as described, all the better...

I'll usually give some leeway for that but push back if it's just plain wrong. Bought a pair of polished Juliets advertised as with Fire Pol, looked liked Fire Pol in the pics, but when they arrived they were obviously "Fruby" non-Pol. Got a partial refund from the argument that non-Pol lenses are cheaper than Pol. Frame was in better condition than expected, though...

Another guy sold me a pair of carbon / BIP Juliets as NIB, but when they arrived they needed a tuneup and showed some minor wear to the finish. His response was "sorry I guess I have a big head" and I'm like "hey, listed as new and unworn"... Got a partial refund from him too to cover the tuneup cost (they should be arriving at x-man's door tomorrow) but the guy kept trying to justify listing them as NIB...

All you have to do is "contact seller" and select the bullet for "item not as described" and ebay will automatically open a case (I didn't know it'd do that the first time I tried). You'll find most sellers will work something out to keep their record clean (never leave feedback before you receive an item; duh, don't know why some people do) but you might have to haggle. They can't leave you negative feedback but don't expect them to leave you positive if you squeezed some cash back out of them... I'd prefer the partial refund to another tick up on my feedback score, anyway.

Back